• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 2017 Whirlpool Refrigertor WRS588FIHZ00 Ice Maker Fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artmanr

Premium Member
Model Number
WRS588FIHZ00
Brand
Whirlpool
The ice maker stopped making ice. Cleaned out bucket. Filter was recently changed. Checked water supply lines. All good. Unplugged unit. Plugged it in 20 minutes later. Went to bed. Woke up to about 20 ice cubes. Assumed all good. Three days later, no ice. Searched forum. Found similar posts with links to user manual and diagnostic procedure. Took apart the cover to inspect wiring. Nothing looks bad. Don't have meter or skills. Some residual frost/ice in area of ice tray, but nothing blocking or frozen up. More just like frost. Put it back together......

Ran diagnostic tests from front of dispenser unit. Test 47 showed Thermistor good and registering temp below harvest temp. Ice tray is full and has ice. Ran test 44. First digit shows 2 and second starts and 2 and goes to 3. Ends showing 23. Tried to force cycle by pressing SW3 to toggle to 1. Waited. Nothing. I thought it would force a harvest cycle. No such luck.

So I am stuck without skills to test electrical. I did inspect wire harness where it comes out of kick plate on freezer door side. Looks solid and doesn't move at all with door movement. Don't think wiring there is a problem. Did not remove it to see actual wire.

So I unplugged it for 30 minutes and plugged it back in. Registered for this website and wrote this email. Help!! Is it as simple as need a new IM?

Thanks very much!!

Art R

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Art,

Remove your bottom kickplate grille, You HAVE TO REMOVE the black wire harness LOOM too, broken wires can be underneath it, look at the attachment below.:)

Here's the ice maker for your model:
W10873791 Ice Maker

If you're absolutely sure no wires are frayed or broken, DO PATH 1 below. I'm attaching the ice maker troubleshooting manual below as well.

Service Diagnostics
Functional checks of all components required for proper operation of the IM can be completed through Service Diagnostics. Refer to the Service sheet for the refrigerator for instructions on operating Service Diagnostics.
NOTE: Diagnostic Step 48 – Icemaker – Ice Bucket Detection Switch – Does Not Work

Troubleshooting Paths
Complete the preliminary checks prior to troubleshooting. Then proceed down the appropriate path.
--->Path 1 - If there is ice or water in the ice tray, proceed to Path 1.

--->Path 1 starts on Page 8. 10)
--->If 14VDC is present, replace the Ice Maker.

Jake

Attachments

• FREEZER DOOR - b4.jpg
    FREEZER DOOR - b4.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Training Pointer W10869036 - Sankyo Twist Tray Ice Maker.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 222

artmanr

Premium Member
I did take the kick plate off and inspect the wires. Red and green broken. The rest look good. I don’t trust myself to solder anything. How can I repair this?

Attachments

• 4F15FA14-9B3E-4258-8A63-489C271571C6.jpeg
    4F15FA14-9B3E-4258-8A63-489C271571C6.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 98

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Take a photo of those broken wires and upload it here, so we can see how much slack you got.

Just order some heat shrink butt connectors and wire wrap. That should do the trick.

You will need this tool:
Wire Splicing Tool 959

Watch this video below:

Jake

artmanr

Premium Member
My wires.

Attachments

• 66FE3934-D801-4B06-B786-9AFD7F912EE5.jpeg
    66FE3934-D801-4B06-B786-9AFD7F912EE5.jpeg
    506.9 KB · Views: 93

artmanr

Premium Member
What kind of solder do I need? The door side wire is pretty short. I’m a bit nervous. Thinking of soldering a splicer wire in between. Any tips?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you have any friends or relatives you can ask to help you?

I always add a little extra wire and use just regular wire solder.

Watch this video:

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.