• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

2019 GE Cafe French Door Refrigerator CYE22TSHPSS condenser fan not working, could the Motherboard be the problem?

zoe.z

Premium Member
Model Number
CYE22TSHPSS
Brand
GE
Purchased this Fridge second hand in April 2021. It is 3 years old. Nothing but problems. The previous owner put in a new Motherboard in March 2021. In May the deli draw compartment froze and the crisper draws froze. We replaced the Deli Draw Evaporator fan and checked the Evaporator cover with built in fan, that still worked in diagnostic check. We were all good for a month until we noticed the metal strip between the fridge and freezer was getting very hot and the freezer contents were softening.

Called out a GE engineer, he did a software update, showed him the heat on the strip and asked him if the motherboard was broken as I'd read that could be the case he said that's very rare for that to be the problem. He also said the heating of the strip was normal although I pointed out you couldn't touch it, it was boiling. He said the software update would handle it. Well it didn't, we lost out to money on that guy! So I started to research myself, hunting through many posts and blogs particularly on GE problems. I figured out how to put the fridge in test mode and found the test codes online.

Discovered the condenser fan was not working (0 RPM) ordered another fan and installed that a few days ago but still the condenser fan wouldn't turn on. Feeling extremely frustrated I have now ordered a new Motherboard, which is probably what has been my problem all along and could have saved myself all the replacing of fans, oh and we also replaced the freezer thermistor because reading on blogs it could've been that. So I have a shop fan at the back of the fridge blowing continously for several days now, the fridge is making ice, the center strip is not hot and the fridge freezer temps are all normal so obviouslty the condenser fan is is the issue but I can't get it to work.

With fingers extremely crossed I am hoping that the new motherboard will solve the problem. However if it doesn't can you tell me what on earth else could be wrong with this fridge? We purchased the fridge for $1000 second hand but I have already spent over $500 in repairs and parts. On searching for weeks through posts and blogs I now realize that these GE fridges are so high tech and fragile that this mother board breaks alot (not cheap at $190) to replace and that in general most people now hate GE because of this fridge.

It's a beautiful fridge and I love everything about it when it's working perfectly but should it really be going for another motherboard when it was just replaced in March? I'm wondering if this motherboard doesn't solve the problem, I can only imagine it will be a more expensive problem and it's going out into the street! :))

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Main board connector J9 pin 1 and 2 should be 12 VDC:
GE Cafe'.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member

zoe.z

Premium Member
Hello, 3 days ago I replaced the mother board and the condenser fan now switches on and the fridge is making ice and cooling again, so everything looks good but now today the front display panel has started beeping and flashing on and off and is switching between different windows from Temp control to Turbo boost control then back to front display. The only thing that's changed is it came up with a yellow warning sign saying to replace the water filter in 5 days. I put the new filter in but the display buttons are non responsive when pushed so I ca'nt reset the filter reminder. Do I now have a broken display circuit board? What would cause the control panel to flash beep and skip around all on its own like it's posessed?

rickgburton

Staff member
Check the J13 connector on the board is on all the way. Check the voltage in the connector (12 VDC)