• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

204.73773610 Kenmore microwave, safe to use after overheating?

thermodog

Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2018
Messages
1
Location
North Potomac, MD
Model Number
204.73773610
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Age
1-5 years
My wife mistakenly started the microwave while empty (she thought she had already loaded it). After a few minutes, it beeped then shut itself off (the display went dark). It was unusually hot, so I unplugged it and let it cool down. I've plugged it back in, and the display is back up. Is it safe to use at this point?

Thanks!
 

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Joined
Oct 9, 2004
Messages
1,779
Location
Canada
I've plugged it back in, and the display is back up. Is it safe to use at this point?
It is "safe", yes. How well it will heat is another question.

If the microwaves bounced back to the magnetron tube (because there was no food to absorb them), the magnetron tube could have been damaged in the process.

Dan O.
 
Top