FIXED 253.21041103 Kenmore Freezer, freezes in drain

Mattila55

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have an upright Kenmore freezer, model number 253.21041103 There is a drain in the bottom of the compartment. Water drips out of the evaporator and freezes in the drain. Then ice collects in the bottom of the compartment. It is defrosting (obviously) I ohmed out the defrost heater it was around 23 ohms. Drain is not plugged. Water flows freely after I melt ice in the tube with hot water. There was a plastic cap on the drain end. I pulled it and inspected for gunk, it was clean.
Thermostat is set at "4"
Could this be a defrost timer issue?
I saw some mention of a drain heater on this forum, is there one made for this unit?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you run hot water down the drain to see how fast it flows to your drain pan?

Pour some bleach down the drain hole too.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good, did you pour bleach down the drain hole?

Jake

Mattila55

Premium Member
Actually, I don't see how this is supposed to work. You got water dripping onto sub-zero sheet metal and it freezes there. Some of it gets into the drain and some seems to freeze right away.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The defrost heater is suppose to warm up that metal drain trough where the water drips too and down the drain hole, you can possibly lower the defrost heater closer to that metal drain trough.

Jake

Mattila55

Premium Member
If I need to do a modification to correct this, what about a drain heater? Is there something like that available for this unit?

Mattila55

Premium Member
I don't know what that's gonna do for me. That looks like the strap that holds the htr up. If I want to try and lower the heater, I think I would have to remove the straps.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, that strap attaches to your heater and goes down in your drain hole.

Look here:
drainstrap.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

Mattila55

Premium Member
Awright, the part came to my home town and then it got shipped to SD, then it got rerouted back here. I was correct, that is the strap that holds the heater up against the evaporator. I made an attempt to use it as depicted in the photo but that was no good. Can I get a refund on that part? Pretty expensive piece of aluminum that was not what I needed...
Anyway I lowered the heater a bit and wrapped some copper wire around it and routed that into the drain hole. That wire gets very hot and seems to be doing the trick. I may have to remove the cover again later to make sure the evaporator is still defrosting properly.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member