• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

253.28092801 Kenmore Elite upright freezer: uneven frosting on evaporator coils

raihansdg

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello

My Kenmore upright freezer is unevenly frosting on the evaporator coils. There is frosting on the top but nothing on the bottom. See link for picture. I did not notice any ball of ice.
I also feel that it is talking way too long to cool. Also the compressor is running very hot.

Is this normal?
The condenser coils are sealed so they do not need cleaning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Model number: 253.28092801
Shared album - Raihan Amin - Google Photos

Ryan

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Ryan,

Yes, I saw your photo of the evaporator coil, TOP has more of a better frost pattern than the BOTTOM coils. Is the evaporator fan running that sits above the evaporator coils?

If so, Then you have a sealed system problem and would very expensive to have repaired.

Jake

raihansdg

Premium Member
Jake
The fan is at the top. Sealed system problem mean the following areas are effected

1. Compressor
2. Leak in the piping
3. Low Freon because of the leak

Can I use an ultra sonic tester to find the leak and check out the compressor ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I think you misread my question: Is the evaporator fan running that sits above the evaporator coils?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sealed system problem mean the following areas are effected

1. Compressor
2. Leak in the piping
3. Low Freon because of the leak

Can I use an ultra sonic tester to find the leak and check out the compressor ?

It can be anything from an inefficient compressor, system restriction to a refrigerant leak. The only way to tell what the exact problem is with the sealed system is to connect a set of refrigeration gauges to read the pressures. Sealed system repairs are expensive and will often exceed the value of the machine.

You should never need to recharge it unless you have a leak in the sealed system tubing, then you'd have to fix the leak, change the filter drier, vacuum and recharge.

Doing compressor or sealed system work like fixing a leak requires you to have a turbo torch, gas for the torch, knowledge of how to use and weld with a turbo torch, the proper amount of R-134a(OR R12) to use, changing the Filter Drier as well, solder, flux, silfloss, sandpaper, etc.

The EPA in the USA now requires you to have a license to even do this work now when dealing with freon, I got mine in 1994 when the law went into effect.

You will need a licensed refrigeration tech. to check for a leak and do the leak repair if that's the case.

Sorry my friend, We are not a teaching website for sealed system/compressor work.

If you are really set on doing it yourself, order this dvd first:
Sealed system video:

Depending on the size of a leak it's illegal for a tech to add refrigerant to a system knowing it has a leak.

You would need a leak detector, either the electronic model or the bubbles kind.

Here's the electronic one: Electronic Freon and Halogen Leak Detector

This type of job is not something a consumer can do.

You need to be a certified Type 1 40 CFR part 82, subpart F. AHAM-NARDA Refrigerant Tech. to change Compressors or do any sealed system work involving Freon(Refrigerant Gas). I got certified on 11-17-1994 when i worked for The Montgomery Ward Service Dept.

Jake