• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

253.28092806 Kenmore Elite Freezer Door Alarm won't shut off

gary@tropicaljs

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Kenmore Elite Upright Freezer, Model 253.28092806. Constant door alarm. Interior lights off. Started when unplugging and plugging freezer from power. Pulled door switch and attached ohm meter. Switch appears to be working properly, no visible damage of any kind. When connecting ohm meter to wires connecting switch to freezer, the ohm meter would immediately indicate an intermittent connection beeping about every second or less. During this process, the lights started working intermittently but then went out. To my knowledge and search of parts, there is only one control module; that being on the door. My conclusion is door electric control module is failing?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you are correct.

Here's the display touchpad and control board assembly for your model you can order:
297366203 Control-Electronic

Make sure you unplug the freezer from the wall outlet before you replace it.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

gary@tropicaljs

Premium Member
Mahalo Jake for your quick response!! Part available in Honolulu albeit quite a bit more expensive but immediately available. Next day and Second day air can take up to two weeks in Honolulu these days. Will let you know as soon as I install.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Gary, sounds good. Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

gary@tropicaljs

Premium Member
Jake,
replaced the electronic control assembly. Unplugged, installed and plugged back in. Less than a minute. Got rid of the beep and door open light. But the panel now only says O FF, constantly. The lock and unlock function seems to work but the O FF is all that it show and while the food inside is still frozen, and it seems to be cooling, the temp is not as low as it should be and food is thawing. Nothing on the door instructions seems to turn on the panel I'm assuming the "O FF" is "off".

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Gary, FF means you have it set on Quick Freeze.

If you press the up and down pads do they work and respond?

Jake

gary@tropicaljs

Premium Member
If you press the up and down pads do they work and respond? NO nothing works on pad except the lock function. Last night realized the condenser is not coming on. The new control assembly was replaced on Monday night. By Wednesday temperature rose to 31deg F. Replaced the new with the old control module, it immediately kick the condenser on and by this morning temp was back to -10deg.....and beeping door alarm again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Replaced the new with the old control module, it immediately kick the condenser on and by this morning temp was back to -10deg.....and beeping door alarm again
Well, that tells me the new Electronic Control is defective Gary, take it back to the place where you got it and they will give you another new one.

Jake

gary@tropicaljs

Premium Member
Well, that tells me the new Electronic Control is defective Gary, take it back to the place where you got it and they will give you another new one.

Jake
Did that. But we're in Hawaii and that was the only one they had. So have to fly a new one...story goes on. My uncertainty is that a lot of electronic controls (especially automotive) have all these little secret procedures you can only find hidden in a shop manual. Was hoping there was a simple reset procedure I missed to initialize the control I wasn't aware of. In fact, came across one for the Kenmore Assembly where you "hold temp up and down buttons simultaneously while plugging in) but didn't work. Was supposedly for this machine by model number. So far, every thing I found on the web that was supposed to be for this model wasn't:mad:.
Certainly do appreciate your help. Hard to find any service here. Very difficult to find a reputable repair service and, when you do, they are almost always 1-3 weeks out. Last two freezers/refrigerators, had to buy new ones cause we couldn't wait for repairman.

Again, thanks for your time.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's the owners manual and tech sheet for that model:

Attachments

• 253.28092806 owners.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 435
  • 253.28092806 tech sheet.pdf
    29.8 KB · Views: 294
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.