253.28432809 Kenmore Freezer refuses to freeze!

FrustratedFreezer

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Sears/Kenmore 253.28432809 upright Freezer that stopped working recently, had quite a lot of food go bad in the process.

So far I have replaced the Main control board in the door, and the Thermister located and mounted under the condenser shroud in the back of the freezer.

If the freezer sits and warms up to room temp and is plugged in the freezer will begin to cool but only to about 60* F.

I have tried replugging in connections, setting the board for the correct size. I have tried to enter Demo mode and then leave it, but the process is unclear, I believe it is just down arrow to 0 then twice within a second.

Below is a PDF with the parts guide. The Use and Care guide is worthless.

ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/prodinfo_pdf/stcloud/5995598082.pdf

Im at my wits end, does anyone have any idea what I should do/try next?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Let the unit run 30-60 minutes, remove evaporator cover and take a pic of the evaporator/cooling coils and post it here.

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
it was plugged in for 12 hours but sporadically ran
How often on? How often off? More on than off, more off than on? Everything shuts off ( fan and compressor ), everything turns back on?

There is minor condensation on the condenser
Evaporator....I see no frost on the evaporator.....was the unit running before you took the pic?

jeff.

FrustratedFreezer

Premium Member
From what I've seen it's only been running very seldomly for around 45 mins at a time and only every few hours. There is no frost or ice. Only water. Yes the unit was plugged in for 12 hours prior to tht picture.

jeff1

Staff member
it's only been running very seldomly for around 45 mins at a time and only every few hours
So you think it is on and running for approx 45 minutes but is off for several hours between these 45 minute runs?

jeff.

FrustratedFreezer

Premium Member
Honestly I don't even find it running again after the initial run. It's in the basement and we seldomly go down there. When I jump pins 1 and 3 together it runs the compressor.

jeff1

Staff member
Last edited:

jeff1

Staff member
I've done both those things and this problem is still happening
Part of diagnosing is paying attention to what is or is not happening.....may have to baby sit it a while.
Need to see if the compressor is running all of the time, some of the time, only once in a while, clicking noises, fan running all of the time, some of the time, only once in a while, etc.
Sounds more like the compressor may not be running all or most of the time and the controls are new.

jeff.

FrustratedFreezer

Premium Member
Thermister is fried again, my fault this time. It's giving me a E9 error which with a basic google search yields a open thermister error. Freezer runs continuously now. At least it's running though. I guess I'll order another thermister and hope that this one was bad... It's pumping out cold air so that's good.. What the heck could it be if a new thermister doesn't work?

jeff1

Staff member
What the heck could it be if a new thermister doesn't work?
Bad control.....compressor shutting off on it's overload/safety switch.....loose wire in the harness.....low voltage.....gremlins ;)

LINK> Temp Thermistor

jeff.

Last edited:

FrustratedFreezer

Premium Member
I have the freezer set to run on a timer for the time being we can't afford to not have the freezer. I have it set to run for 30 mins then off 90 mins continuously... Not happy about having to do it but we've run out of time. The control that's in there is good I'm almost certain.

william24

I have a Sears/Kenmore 253.28432809 upright Freezer that stopped working recently, had quite a lot of food go bad in the process.

So far I have replaced the Main control board in the door, and the Thermister located and mounted under the condenser shroud in the back of the freezer.

If the freezer sits and warms up to room temp and is plugged in the freezer will begin to cool but only to about 60* F.

I have tried replugging in connections, setting the board for the correct size. I have tried to enter Demo mode and then leave it, but the process is unclear, I believe it is just down arrow to 0 then twice within a second.

Below is a PDF with the parts guide. The Use and Care guide is worthless.

ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/prodinfo_pdf/stcloud/5995598082.pdf

Im at my wits end, does anyone have any idea what I should do/try next?
I have the same one, and got it free used ,it's in good condition. Everything is working, but it doesn't get cold. I'm so frustrated too, cause it's in great shape. it's a 2012.

jeff1

Staff member
Everything is working, but it doesn't get cold
Compressor and fans are running?
If yes, that may be the kiss of death....a major system issue....leaker, restriction, inefficient compressor or any combination of these = BIG$ repair.

jeff.

william24

Compressor and fans are running?
If yes, that may be the kiss of death....a major system issue....leaker, restriction, inefficient compressor or any combination of these = BIG$ repair.

jeff.
thanks so much,you helped me make up my mind.

jeff1

Staff member
Your welcome.

jeff.