253.28432809 Kenmore Upright Freezer Wont Stop Running

67gto

Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore (Frigidaire/Electrolux) upright self defrosting freezer with the digital control on the door. We returned from a 7 day vacation to find the freezer was warm inside & everything was spoiled. The circuit breaker for the freezer was not tripped. the display had the 2 red lights for Warm temp & door ajar on, (even though the door was closed).

So I took the freezer outside, got rid of all the food & Pressure washed out the inside & plugged it in and set it to the coldest setting. I let it sit for a couple of hours, I checked the thermometer inside the freezer and it read -10 degrees. The problem is that it will not stop running. So I started troubleshooting. I removed the evaporator cover.

The evaporator coil had a uniform thin layer of frost on all the coils from top to bottom. So that rules out leaking freon, low charge, compressor issues. The evaporator fan is running & blowing frosty cold air, no blockages, fan issues, etc. I replaced the thermistor, still continuously runs. The compressor did shut off, I am assuming to run the defrost heating element.

So I again removed the evaporator cover to find that the defrost heating element was hot & working. The door gasket is sealing all the way around, no tears, etc. After the freezer was running for 4-5 hours I raised the setting from 7 (coldest) to 6, then 5. The thing never turned off. The only thing left is the digital control board in the door. I found them on ebay for $67.00. I just wanted to know before I go ahead & buy the control, is there anything else that I should be checking ?? . Of the 3 basic components, I have ruled out 2. What else is there ??

Thank You in advance for any replies

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its most likely that digital control board in the door, but its not a good idea to buy it on ebay, its always best to get them from authorized appliance parts dealers.

The good thing is if you order parts from AppliancePartsPros or RepairClinic, you have 365 days to return the part/parts for a full refund, less shipping, for any reason, even if you install the part/parts and it doesn't fix the problem.

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
297370602 Control-Electrical

It is easy to replace. Disconnect the power. The control panel board unsnaps from the front of the door panel on the unit. Then remove the wires from the old and put on the new the exact same way they came off.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake