• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

253.44723100 Kenmore Elite Fridge trying to run but shuts off

edee_em

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi
Couldn't get too many words into the title so let me explain. Heard our Kenmore (fridge only), model 253.44723100, turn on but it immediately shut off. This repeated a few times. I came upstairs to check the computer for this symptom. I went back downstairs to get the model number and it was running fine, not cutting out, for the short time I was down there. Anyone have this experience and some troubleshooting tips? Thanks

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like the start device is wearing out or the compressor is wearing out. Measure the resistance of the relay in the start device (3Ω-23Ω). Measure the compressor windings
R -Compressor Windings Test NEW.jpg

R-start device.jpg

edee_em

Premium Member
Interesting turn of events with the fridge: it seems to be working fine.

The only things I did to it was to move the fridge out to open up the back and level the fridge as I noticed it was quite out of level when I moved it. Is it possible that jiggling it around a bit and leveling it could have "fixed" it? Can an unlevel fridge cause issues with the compressor?

edee_em

Premium Member
I wanted to update this post with some new information. While working beside the fridge I noticed the fridge making a noise and then stopping and this continued for a bit. I wasn't sure what exactly was making the noise (at first I thought it was the compressor) but then I heard the compressor start so I think what I was hearing was a fan or similar trying to turn on but shutting off. Does this change anything in the troubleshooting asked for?