• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

253.65812509 KENMORE FRIDGE LEAKING WATER

Stargazer

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi, I have this Sears / Kenmore top / bottom fridge that is leaking water from the ceiling of the fridge. I removed the evaporator coil cover and noticed ice had formed within the cold air duct going down into the fridge, I removed the plastic ceiling cover that houses the light fixture, thermostat and defrost timer. There's a defrost drip cup that funnels water through the rear fridge wall into a plastic hose down and through the bottom of the cabinet, I didn't see any obstructions there.

When I pulled the fridge out from against the wall to look underneath, the only unusual thing I noticed wast that the drain hose leading to the drain pan was kinked right where the drain pipe comes through the fridge cabinet, the clear tape used to hold the hose against the underside of the fridge had dried and was no longer sticking to the cabinet surface so I squeezed the plastic hose using a pair of pliers to reshape it and replaced the dry tape with a strip of gorilla tape.

I reassembled everything and switched back on however the water leaking has persisted, could it be that the drain hose beneath the fridge simply needs to be replaced with a vinyl one instead of the Kenmore plastic one perhaps because the hose kink is causing the defrosted water to backup into the drain cup at the fridge ceiling, overflow and drip down onto the fridge shelf?

This fridge does NOT have the optional ice maker installed.

MODEL# 253.65812509
SERIAL# BA82717880

Thank you,
Steven

Attachments

• IMG_5362.JPG
    IMG_5362.JPG
    439.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Clean the drain line with hot soapy water and make sure the water flows freely through the drain line. A turkey baster works best for this. Water should run from the freezer to the drain pan with a steady flow. Use a hair dryer to blow down the drain tube for a few minutes so there's no water that can freeze in the drain tube.