• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

253.6888201A Kenmore Refrigerator evaporator partially cools down

Jong2

Premium Member
Model Number
253.6888201A
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Kenmore 253.6888201A

not a pro, just helping someone with low resources. I need to get this fridge working and was hoping to swap a part out but the symptoms are not what I expected.

What seems to work
Compressor fan
Evaporator fan
Defrost coil
Defrost timer
Compressor*

Symptoms
Compressor seems to run, I can feel vibration although it seems to be quieter than normal ( I'm unsure if it should be any louder). I disconnected the compressor fan to make sure the vibration was in fact the compressor.

The evaporator only cools down on a small section at the start of the coil, about 16in only. See picture: The first section of the coil had build up some condensation/ice during the the first 8 hours of run time. I don't have a temp gauge but the rest of the coil seems barely cooled. I'm in sure what the issue is since I've seen the timer, defrost coil and fans work.

Attachments

• 20220508_091140.jpg
    20220508_091140.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The photo shows a refrigeration system problem. The unit may be low of refrigerant, there might be a restriction in the refrigeration system or a problem with the compressor. It will require a trained refrigeration technician to diagnose it further.

The cheapest a repair is likely to be is $150+ and if a compressor is needed the repair could easily be $500+

Dan O