253.70313211 Ice maker fan iced over and grinds noise

ercriss

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Our ice maker cooling fin things gets iced over and then the fan begins to grind on the ice making a terrible sound.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN4VUYEhih6YsOjR-evucMRZnO9mwG87e4e1wO4

I take it apart and melt the ice with a hair drier. About a week later the grinding and ice return. I also notice a large rust spot with and ice chunk on the rear exterior panel. This has been there for years through all weather-seasons. This is placed perfectly behind the ice maker.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iSTvmcaXjMWbg2o67

model number. 253.70313211

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see now, that is what caused the rust as well on the back.

Here's our main thread on this issue: FGHB2844LF5 Rust on back of Frigidaire Refrigerator

Look at posts 33 and 36 on page 4 for the solution.

It comes with instructions.

All,

They have updated this repair. If there's condensation on the rear panel and the drain line is not frozen, need to install air handler kit #5303918784 along with the insulation pad. They've updated the air handler that does away with all those gaskets! Hope this helps some
Jake

ercriss

Premium Member
I called the number you suggested in the other thread and I get transferred to a repair place in TX even tho I live in Indiana. I have also called Sears repair. My fridge is 6 years old. I hate to pay the diagnosis fee if all they are going to tell me is the repair will cost $600 for a piece of foam insulation and a $60 air handler kit. This fridge isn't worth a $700 repair. That's half the original purchase price. Sears won't tell me if this is a "recall" type repair for being a stupid design flaw.

BTW... My drain line appears to be frozen, too. Does that change things? A local (non-big box) appliance business says perhaps its not going into defrost mode. Is that very likely? The fan behind the ice box still turns on and off.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
BTW... My drain line appears to be frozen, too. Does that change things? A local (non-big box) appliance business says perhaps its not going into defrost mode. Is that very likely?
Yes, this kit should fix both problems:
Air Handler Housing Kit 5303918784

But another member Barryware says it still freezes up the drain line:

Jake