• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

253.70313214 Water dispenser and ice maker not functioning

frustratedhomeowner

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Numerous troubleshooting steps tried/detailed, HELP!

:confused:
2 days ago, my fridge/freezer was making a persistent knocking noise. At this time, the ice maker had not been working for maybe a week (this happens intermittently). I unpluged the fridge for a few minutes, knocking noise persisted. At this time, my water dispenser was at least working. Then I tried to do the defrost cycle hoping to regain function of the icemaker and stop the knocking by holding I believe fridge and freezer temps down at the same time. This activated a cycle that stopped the knocking noise (also my water dispenser automatically activated so I must have triggered a service mode). However, since that time, the water dispenser does not work. Triggering the actuator turns on the light and it tried to dispense water (after shutting off the water at the valve and turning it back on, I can hear the water flow when triggering the door actuator).

Steps I have tried so far
  • Changing the OEM filter (it was an old filter) using a coral filter but it fits fine.
  • Removing the front left hinge and running warm water through the door water line to unfreeze it. The water flows out the water dispenser nozzle fine when I manually add wam water
  • checking/blowing into every line to see if there's an obstruction. All lines seem to have water EXCEPT the yellow/white line that goes to the door.
  • checking the valve water pressure and inlet hose for leaks (both good)
  • checking the inlet valve for leaks and the connectors for continuity (all test between 200-450 ohms resistance

When I checked the water filter was secure, the new filter was filling with water and made a pressurized sound when disconnecting it, meaning I'm getting water to the filter at least.

At this point I'm running out of potential fixes. I am wondering if I entered some diagnostic mode by accident that is preventing me dispensing water or getting ice now.

Questions for everyone
Does anyone have the tech sheet for this model?
Could anyone point me to which color water hoses may be causing the issue?
Does anyone have any tips I could try?

I would be really grateful!!! Thanks in advance!
Dan the frustrated but hopeful homeowner

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
To enter the service mode, press and hold ‘control lock’ and ‘options’ simultaneously for up to ten (10) seconds. Press ‘+’ on the LCD display to advance thru the menu options; press ‘power on-off’ to initiate the selected test.

Test 8: Water valve (water dispenser test only)
NOTE: Place a cup in the dispenser prior to starting this test to collect the water as both primary and dispenser valve will be activated. Push ‘power on-off’ to actuate valve. Push ‘power on-off’ again to deactivate.

Test 10: Auger motor
Push ‘power on-off’ to activate. Auger runs with fresh food door closed. Push ‘power on-off’ again to deactivate. Also,
Auger motor switch
Push ‘power on-off’ to activate. Auger stops when fresh food door switch is allowed to open.

Test 11: Cube/Crush solenoid
Push ‘power on-off’ to activate. Solenoid pulls in. Push ‘power on-off’ again to deactivate. Note: The solenoid should only be activated momentarily to prevent damage. Do not leave the solenoid in activated state for an extended period of time.

Test 23: Fresh food door
Freezer Display will show “OP” open when doors are open and “CL” when door is closed.

Test 36: Ice door test; ice chute door micro-switch only.
Displays “OP” when flapper is opened manually. also, Ice door test; ice chute door solenoid & microswitch Push ‘power on-off’. Dispenser and the solenoid will activate. The Freezer display will show “OP”

frustratedhomeowner

Premium Member
@rickgburton
My panel does not have an options button, I'll post a picture below.
If the test does not run, will it show an error code? I'll try it when I get home from work.
20170307_084650.jpg

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
No error code, just won't enter test mode. That must be a newer style control. I don't have any service info for that model. Try to locate the tech sheet. Common places are under hinge covers, behind the lower grill, taped to the bottom of the machine or inside control panels.
Tech Sheet Locations.jpg