• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

253.8641801 Old Kenmore series 21 top mount refrigerator draining water internally

Oldie but Goody

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
It is a 1987 fridge that keeps everything cold. It is draining large amounts of water internally, nothing on the outside or in fridge. I want to move it to the garage but need to know where this water is going so I can empty it before moving. If I unplug it, some water spills on front side. Drip pan is bone dry. Please tell me how to get to the water reservoir inside unit. Been a great fridge all these years.

Added model number

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That one works. The model tag should be on the inside of the fresh food compartment, right or left side near the top, or on the top. Your machine doesn't have an ice maker or reservoir. The only water is from a defrost cycle. The defrost heater melts the frost off the evaporator every 8-10 hours and the water goes into the drain trough through the drain hole and out the drain tube by the compressor. If the drain hole was blocked the water will keep building ice on top of itself and when unplugged and defrosted there could be quite a bit of water in there. When you move it or tip the machine, the water in the freezer can run down the air channel into the fresh food section behind the controls, and out the door.