Thread: Samsung french door frost freezer

Default Samsung french door frost freezer

Model Number: RFG237AARS
    Brand: Samsung

I purchased the this Samsung french door refrigerator because my old one was shot. GD Power and associates rated it the best refrigerator brand, now for the 5th year in a row. Other refrigerators must be really bad if this is the best.

The ice maker is anemic. If I have three people over the ice wont last more than the day. If I entertain I have to run for ice. I'm now having to look at installing an ice maker.

The bottom portion of the refrigerator is the freezer and while I like it's capacity it frosts over badly.[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I've had this thing for a couple of months. Anybody else have this experience? What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by rocks911 View Post
    I purchased the this Samsung french door refrigerator because my old one was shot. GD Power and associates rated it the best refrigerator brand, now for the 5th year in a row. Other refrigerators must be really bad if this is the best.

The ice maker is anemic. If I have three people over the ice wont last more than the day. If I entertain I have to run for ice. I'm now having to look at installing an ice maker.

The bottom portion of the refrigerator is the freezer and while I like it's capacity it frosts over badly.[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I've had this thing for a couple of months. Anybody else have this experience? What to do?
    Your freezer drawer is not closing properly. When opening the freezer drawer, pull open only from the center of the drawer and not from the side. The reason is the drawer tracks will twist and cause the drawer to come out at an angle instead of straight. When you close the drawer, it will not close straight. Also check the door seals. When they are closed, make sure there are no gaps anywhere. Since the unit is still under warranty, call Samsung for their techs to come out and see about the frost issue. it's a free call.

As for the icemaker, the capacity is reduced severly for design purposes. If you plan on having a large party and need lots of ice, you will need to make and store the ice in the freezer drawer. That's the only resolution for this situation.

Good luck.

I found this thread about this very issue:

Samsung French Door - Frost in Freezer - Bottom Freezers Discussion Topics - MySears Community

A poster on that site indicated that they had the unit replaced 5 times with every explanation under the sun and each unit performed the same. Another poster said he had a tech come out and replaced a circuit board because Samsung had used a circuit that defrosted the freezer for a shorter period than was necessary so they could get an Energy Star rating. Many many posters on the Sears site with the exact same problem. Not encouraging.

I recently also purchased a Electrolux double oven and the display went bad after 2 months. I knew I shoulda gone with Kenmore, never had a problem with them. I'ts pretty frustrating spending multiple thousands of dollars just to have to deal with issues like these two months into ownership

We have had our Samsung for about 45 days and are experiencing the same frost issue. One service tech visit and they said needed to be leveled and the doors adjusted but that was the owners responsibility. Lowes was out yesterday and leveled/adjusted and this morning frost was reappearing. I am interested if anyone has the info on the circuit board mentioned or if that is in Samsung's "fix" protocol for the frost problem. I'm not buying the not opening or closing the door properly on a $2200 appliance that should not have that problem. New service tech supposed to call today for next visit.

If everything has been checked and door seals are tightly sealed, the only other explanation is that you have an air leak somewhere in the liner. From the pictures I'm seeing this air leak is hidden behind the evaporator because the frost is everywhere and doesn't have an origination point. You need to have a Samsung technician come out and disassemble the entire back panel and move the evaporator coil out of the way to inspect the plastic liner for any cracks or holes. This is not new to me. I have seen Samsung side by side units where the freezer side is so frosted up that it can't make ice. I had to pull all the food and shelving and back panel out to get behind the evaporator and find a full length crack across the back liner hidden from view. If there is a crack in the liner and your refrigerator is within the 1 year warranty, Samsung will replace the refrigerator. Do not let them repair it.