Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RB217 Samsung water in bottom of refrigerator

Apologies for resurrecting this 4 month old thread, but I have the same thing happening to my Samsung fridge, but having tried everything mentioned here it's still leaking.

Yesterday I aired out the fridge (and gave it a good cleaning) and unplugged it to try to fix the problem. After work last night I dried everything up, poured a little bit of salt down the tube and chased it with 2 cups of hot water, then dried it up.

Plugged everything back in, put the food (minus the veggie drawers) back in and let it do its cooling thing all night. Came home today and there's quite a bit of water pooled on the floor of the fridge section.

I'm thinking that the lip mentioned by BoardSMITH is the same thing that somehow got knocked out of place.

Here's some pictures.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0281_zps451519f2.jpg 
Views:	2990 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	8784Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0279_zpsb0c718fb.jpg 
Views:	2863 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	8785Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0278_zpsbbc91c76.jpg 
Views:	3311 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	8786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0277_zps0301698f.jpg 
Views:	3124 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	8787

The foil lining the bottom of the drip tray front (in the third pic) has also "rusted" right through, so that may be it.

Shouldn't have to do ghetto repairs on a $1500 CDN fridge.

Your looks to be a twin for mine complete down to the stains. Looks like Samsung took the cheap route out for their design. There is no reason why a refrigerator that cost so much should rust and perform so poorly.

BTW The probe that goes down the drain tube is a known defect for Samsung. They make a longer probe to stop clogs due to freeze ups in the drain and the fix was described in a bulletin the the repair techs.
    Last edited by BoardSMITH; January 11th, 2013 at 08:36 PM.

Thanks.. do you know the part number for the correct probe? As much as I want this fixed I don't think I need a repair tech at this point.. my warranty might be up already so if I can I'd rather go the DIY route.

I agree.. there should be a TSB (similar to vehicles) for major household appliances that fixes these issues without cost to the end customer.

Here we go again. Just inspected the bottom of the refrigerator under the deli drawer and found several cups of frozen water where it had pooled up. And more gnats. It is time for Samsung to step up to the plate and admit there is a problem with their poor design. A&E is secheduled to come out this afternoon for what I believe is the 6th or 7th service call for this problem. Maybe a class action suit will get their attention.

I'm not sure what a TSB is but here in NC I believe there is a lemon law for appliances. I need to do some deep research to find out. You can bet I will NEVER buy another Samsung product no matter what!

UPDATE:

The A&E technician just finished. He said, "I just worked on one of these yesterday with the same problem. It is a design flaw." Hear that Samsung - a design FLAW!

He wrote on the repair receipt, "Numerous service calls for the same problem. No further repair can be made. Recommend replacement if leak still occurs." All he did was level it and wish me the best of luck.

Default how to open the panel?

hi,

I unscrew 3 screws. What else should I do to open the panel?
    Yes, it had ice in multiple holes.

Please, guide me for this matter
    any pics are very welcome.

opened it ;-0
    Last edited by mikek753; April 21st, 2013 at 06:32 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00451.JPG 
Views:	2585 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	10214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00452.JPG 
Views:	2638 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	10215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00453.JPG 
Views:	2408 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	10216

As you can see it has ice on that collector plate.
    Where is drain hole? And where the water will go?
    At what place or hole did you add bleach?
    What did you clean?

thanks

Samsung has an upgraded probe which goes into the drain hold under the coil. The older model which is shorter was evidently to short to do the job adequately. The drain hole is located under the coil and the water is directed there with the slanted channel. I poured the bleach solution down this hole and the solution i collected in the drain tray on the bottom of the refrigerator. This is all I cleaned. The repair people from A&E replaced sensors, fan motors, defrost probes and several other things and to date the drips still happen and no one has been able to stop the drips. One repair tech stated he worked on another with the same problem just prior to his visit to my house. This is a design malfunction Samsung knows about and will do nothing to correct it.

Looks like your probe needs to be replaced and the foil tape across the bottom lip has degraded and also needs to be replaced. (A&E replaced the tape twice.) The galvanized metal backing behind the coil has been replaced as well as the entire front cover. Both metal pieces were rusted and about to fall apart. In just six months, the replaced metal also shows signs of rust.

I am trying to get A&E to replace the refrigerator under the terms of their master service program which is proving to be a tough road to travel. If nothing else, I will just trash the Samsung, buy a Whirlpool and use the Samsung for target practice.

hi,

Why or what makes draining hole to accumulate ice that blocks drainage?
    Is upper gets so cold that freezes condensed water in the channel and drain hole?

What newer upgraded probe looks like?
    Can I upgrade the probe by myself and how to get that new probe?

thanks.

Is the "probe" only aluminum that's longer to get into drain tube?
    Will this probe helps
    Defrost Heat Probe 819043

I don't see, why it can't as it's generic, but I'm not pro, so I need your comments, pls.

BTW - people complained about the same issue on other brands.
    So it looks like one designed it and the rest just copied ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast