• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

2661532412 Kenmore stackable washer is leaking water, and making noise in spin

Electrovert

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello Everybody,
I have a Kenmore stackable washer and dryer. The model # 2661532412. The washer is leaking water from the bottom of the tub assembly and making noise when spin. I took tub assembly out of the frame. I am having difficulty removing the transmission. The hub nut is out. I pound the shaft with a 10 pounds and a 2X4 but it won't come out. I saw many videos on Youtube but none were like mine. Is the shaft welded to the tub assembly? New outer and inner tub cost around $500. I do have new transmission and ready for replacement. My next step is to use a blow torch and heat it up until red. After this I would pound it loose. Here are attached files. All advises and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My next step is to use a blow torch and heat it up until red.
If you use a torch it will melt that plastic tub, then you will need to replace the whole assembly.

Look here at what this guy did:

The worst part about this job was the inner tub was frozen to the transmission shaft, The only way to get this apart was to cut the center hub off the shaft. I used a 4 in angle grinder & cutoff wheel to make 4 cuts close to the center hub hammer n chisel its out, 2 more cuts on what's left and hammer n chisel it was off. This was glued on. The downside to this is you have to buy a whole new inner basket assembly. The hub is not sold by it self.

Here's the inner tub assembly for your model:

You can get the outer tub/inner tub and transmission as one assembly for less than the inner tub assembly here:

Jake

Electrovert

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. I ended up using a blow torch and cut the shaft off and cut the shaft inner side. It finally came off with the outer tub assembly melted on the bottom. This is good since the outer tub is less expensive than the inner tub. I have different problem and will post with new thread. Thank you everybody.