30" Wall Oven Cabinet

Lilmoose

Premium Member
I am trying to replace a 27" wall oven / microwave combo unit (Whirlpool) that was damaged by a nearby lightning strike and cannot be repaired due to parts not being available (unit is 17 years old). The existing unit is installed in a 30" wide euro/frameless cabinet.

I am finding that buying a new 27" unit is almost impossible, particularly when I factor in a color preference to match other appliances in the kitchen. However, I may be able to get a 30" model relatively quickly.

When I look at installation sheets for 30" units made by LG, Frigidaire, and Samsung, they all show installing a a 30" cabinet. Most of the "conventional wisdom" that I can see on the internet says that I should use something like a 33" cabinet for a 30" oven. If this is mandatory why do these manufacturers show 30" cabinets on their instructions?

The inside width of the existing cabinet is about 29-5/8" which would leave less than 1" clearance on each side between the interior part of the oven and the inside of the cabinet. Is this common practice or am I creating a fire hazard?

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.