30 year old whirlpool washer - I want to fix it

bourbondog

Premium Member
Model
LA7000XMW0
Brand
Whirlpool
I have never had to make a repair on this washer. Had a repairman out. Said clutch was slipping. Would see if parts were available. Never called me back. Called him a few days later - couldn't remember me - said I better go shopping.

I don't like what I found out there. I want my Whirlpool. It looks like new. When it starts to agitate, you have to help it get going. Then everything's good throughout the cycle. It is belt driven. The repair man did tighten the belt.

Any thoughts or help? I believe the transmission and the clutch need to be replaced. I don't have a problem buying rebuilt. I just need the part numbers and someone who will do this for me. I live in Northwest Indiana.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

LA7000XMN
Could that be LA7000XMW0

Tranny - NLA
Basket/brake and drive ( clutch ) - NLA

Large pulley on the tranny may be loose or slipping, belt may still be loose or slipping....failing those, you may be SOL.
Belt drive info...
Belt Drive Washer Help | Appliance Aid

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
Couldn't I get a rebuilt tranny and/or clutch?
If you can find one yes.....but these machines haven't been made in 25+ years, so parts will be limited for sure :(

jeff.

bourbondog

Premium Member
If you can find one yes.....but these machines haven't been made in 25+ years, so parts will be limited for sure :(

jeff.
Do you know what the part numbers are for these two items?

Also, if I can't find them, can you recommend a washer I might like? Is that OK to post on this thread?

jeff1

Staff member
Sure, gear case 358483...basket/brake and drive 359699.

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
Your welcome.

jeff.

F

fairbank56

The clutch doesn't have anything to do with agitation. You said you have to help it start agitation. If it spins ok, then the clutch is ok. As for the agitation problem, as Jeff says, it could be the main drive pulley is loose. You can check the set screw that locks it to the drive shaft. A slipping belt is also possible but I would think that would affect spin as well. You can remove the back panel to observe the main drive pulley when agitation starts. If it's spinning and set screw is tight but the agitator shaft is not moving, then looks like you do have a transmission problem.

Eric

bourbondog

Premium Member
It spins and drains fine. The only problem is the agitator. If it is the transmission, then are these the right part numbers? gear case 358483...basket/brake and drive 359699
I have not yet given up. I did find part 21001534 transmission but said it was for a Magic Chef washer. This was the part number I found on a parts store list for my LA7000XMN0. But I have looked through all my options - Whirlpool and Maytag with agitators - lids lock. Hate that - and really bad reviews. GE - clothes get stuck under the agitator and get ruined. Speed Queen - expensive. Hotpoint - plastic basket but it is plastic they use to make football helmets. If I fail in finding my parts, I think Hotpoint will be my choice. Thanks everyone for your help on my journey to save my Whirlpool washer. I wish they still made the good ones.

jeff1

Staff member