• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 30 yr old White Westinghouse Chest Freezer died

Eva_Dayz

Premium Member
Model Number
FC162LTW5
Brand
White-Westinghouse
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I was given a 30yr old White Westinghouse chest freezer about two years ago. Last year Oct. 11 it died. I was able to fix it by replacing the start relay, overload protector and the temperature control. This year Oct. 28th it dies again and again the start relay went to crap. I have already replaced the start relay and overload protector, I don't think I need to replace the temp control again. I went to plug in the freezer and it's still completely dead. I have a start capacitor on the way as a last ditch effort to get this dinosaur working again as it was the next thing suggested. I would like to hear some advice and opinions on this. I already have plans to buy a new freezer just in case the capacitor doesn't fix the old one.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
]If there's not a start capacitor, adding one won't help. If it does, it will only be for a short time. We use to refer the 3-N-1 (overload/relay /start cap) as compressor killers. If you have 120 VAC at the compressor measure the compressor windings.
R -Compressor Windings.jpg

If there's 0V check the cold control for continuity.

Eva_Dayz

Premium Member
Thank you for responding. This freezer does indeed have have a start capacitor. This is the information on it. model: JSU18X156AQA, 180VAC, 15uF, 70*C, 10000AFC,50/60Hz, made ins Japan, 300399. It's manufacture date is the same as the freezer itself, year 1991.

Would a digital multimeter be sufficient in checking the compressor and temp control. Also is it possible that the current temp control (which was bought last year) got fried when the the start relay blew?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Would a digital multimeter be sufficient in checking the compressor and temp control.
Yeppers, set it on the lowest ohms scale. With these old machines anything's possible.

Eva_Dayz

Premium Member
Yeppers, set it on the lowest ohms scale. With these old machines anything's possible.
Awesome, just got done checking everything and the temp control is shot. It's so sad it only lasted one year. Least it's not a very expensive part. Thank you so much for your help.