• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 310003SAW Magic Chef Broiler Door Locked

cemallery

Premium Member
Model Number
310003SAW
Brand
Magic Chef
Locked Magic Chef Broiler Door

I have an old-ish Magic Chef stove – Model #31003SAW

All of a sudden, the bottom broiler door is locked open. There is no give or shake. It is locked solid.

The door will open to its fullest, at a 90 degree angle. But closing it up, it locks at 45 degrees.

Can anyone guess how this would happen? And how to fix it?

Thank you.

c.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
the bottom broiler door is locked open.
You only have the one door. Are you saying the oven door won't close?? If so, take a few pics of the door hinges with the door open all the way. Post the here.

cemallery

Premium Member
Hi Rick. Thanks for your reply.
My stove has two doors. Only the bottom one to the broiler is stuck at about 45°. It will not close beyond that.
This came of nowhere. The is no give or slop to the door in its frozen position. It is rick solid.
It almost seems like this is a feature that I've somehow engaged by accident.
Thanks again.
c.

Attachments

• 1) MC-#310003SAW.JPG
    1) MC-#310003SAW.JPG
    356.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 2) two doors.JPG
    2) two doors.JPG
    364.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 3) fully open.JPG
    3) fully open.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 4) stuck position.JPG
    4) stuck position.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 5) fully open-RT hinge.JPG
    5) fully open-RT hinge.JPG
    366.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 6) fully open-LT hinge.JPG
    6) fully open-LT hinge.JPG
    349.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 7) stuck position-RT hinge.JPG
    7) stuck position-RT hinge.JPG
    303 KB · Views: 18

rickgburton

Staff member
Try pulling up on the door and see if it will close. Remove the two screws holding the hinge to the door (4 screws) then remove the door (should pull off the hinges). Will the hinges close all the way without the door on?

cemallery

Premium Member
Hi Rick,
Thanks for sticking with me on this.
Pulled the door off and the hinges are still stuck solidly.
c.

Attachments

• no door-2.JPG
    no door-2.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 17
  • no door-1.JPG
    no door-1.JPG
    403.1 KB · Views: 19
  • no door-3.JPG
    no door-3.JPG
    380.3 KB · Views: 18
  • no door-4.JPG
    no door-4.JPG
    316.8 KB · Views: 16

rickgburton

Staff member
Use a wire brush on the hinge joints and see if you can tell what it's catching on.

cemallery

Premium Member
Hi Rick,
Here’s where I am now.
I noticed that on the outer arm of the hinge, there is a BB size knob (A) that is hitting against the hinge base (B).
That contact locks the door firmly open at 45°. It looked like the knob could sink in to be flush with outer hinge surface, allowing it to slip behind the hinge base, closing the door. But there was no give to pressure.
Pushing and pulling the hinge in all directions created no movement at that contact point.

To see if something was pressing against the knob from the back side of the outer hinge, there is a riveted plate (C) that is making contact with a shallow disc (D) that appears to line up with the knob on the other side. The plate was extremely tight against the disc. I tried swinging the plate down on its rivet. It took a forceful pry with a screw driver, much too tight to move with the door’s opening and closing. Also, I couldn’t swing it down far enough so clear the disk as the top of the plate hit the flange right above it (E).

This is no fluke because it’s exactly the same situation with both hinges.

This door has been working normally for years. There was no deterioration of movement, no slowly sloppiness of operation. One day it’s fine, and the next day, not.

Could this all be part of the design? It seems like I could have accidentally activated something to lock it at 45° open. I have the owner’s manual from an online source. It’s one common pamphlet covering numerous Magic Chef models. No mention of door operation.

It’ll be no surprise if there’s a simple explanation for all this, leading to a Homer Simpson “Doh” moment.

Thoughts? Thanks again for your patience.
c.

Attachments

• outside.jpg
    outside.jpg
    825.9 KB · Views: 17
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    768.1 KB · Views: 18

rickgburton

Staff member
Move "C" so that it's off of "D". Then close the hinge. "A" will push in and let the hinge close

cemallery

Premium Member
Hello,
I know you, as moderator, you are very busy and can at best just scan the avalanche of messages and images you must receive.
But in my case, what you suggested does not work..
Please read my second paragraph. It is impossible for "C" to move off "D" unless I tear apart the whole hinge. Of course, that cannot be the solution.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, you'll probably need to have a service tech come out and look at it.
Use a wire brush on the hinge joints and see if you can tell what it's catching on.
Use some WD40
Hinge.jpg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
cemallery said:
It is impossible for "C" to move off "D"

It looks like plate "C" is out of alignment compared to the pictures of the new components.

image.jpeg

That plate being out of position could cause uneven pressure on the holding 'nipple' "A" causing it to jam diagonally in the hole in the hinge arm, preventing retraction to enable hinge closing.

Maybe try opening the hinge further (to take pressure off the 'nipple'). Press the back end of nipple so it is fully extended. Then try vice grips or Channellock pliers to move the plate back into proper position over the back side of the nipple.

Dan O.

Last edited:

cemallery

Premium Member
Hi Dan,
Thanks for your input.
I pried the plate open so better to see the disc for the photo. I'd already repositioned it with channel lock pliers.

But then:
I opened the hinge wide, put in a little WD40 and worked the nipple in and out with channel locks. It didn't work right away, but I let the lubrication sink in for a while. Lo and behold, the hinge loosened up and the knob/nipple slid under the hinge base into a closed position. Put the door back on and everything works fine.
Problem solved. The WD40 did the job. I don't know why I didn't try this before as I normally think WD40 is the answer to everything.

Lessons learned:
1. I was wrong that it was improbable that both hinges would freeze at the same time. It would only take one would lock the door.
2. Got to know how this type of hinge works.
3. How nice guys like you take the time and interest to pitch in and advise laymen like me to solve everyday problems.

Thanks to you both of you, Rick and Dan, for taking your time to help on this.

Stay safe.
c.