• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

363.9550610 Not cooling, everything running

Mikew33

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore side by side. it takes 4.5 ounces of r134A and that is what I added. after a 1500 mile move with a shipping company, it would not cool. First repairman said it was low on freon and recharged it. Worked great for almost a year then slowly started to not cool aw well.

Second repairman said first repair man never added an fluid because it is a seal system and still was,well first bit of crow he ate was he did, because on the other side of the compressor was the adapter that makes a pin hole in the pipe. he replied it brazed close the hole and added, which I think the better a fitting by brazing one on the service pipe. He filled it, and BTW neither of them used a scale OR pulled a vacuum. after 20 days +or - it started to warm up, he FINALLY came back close to 40 days later and said the the defrost timer was "sticking so he said freon level was fine but if it doesn't defrost to spray WD40 in it and it would free it up.

Called him a 3rd time and he said, "well, are you willing to spend a little more $$? I said nope. already too much and it STILL doesn't work right between the 2 of you. Well he said it needed a compressor relay because it wasn't shutting off. So I started dingy homework and when I took the panel off for the evaporator, it was a solid block of ice! Tested the defrost elements and no reading=open. so I replaced them which comes with a new t-stat and I also ordered a new defrost timer, found out the old one was not timing. I pulled it apart, I'm a curious one, and no amount of WD-40 was going to fix it! Strike 4. I have also tested the new one and it is timing.

So now this is where I am at. I cannot get the temp in the freezer below 53 at best, usually 59, compressor is constantly running and VERY hot, even the low side is hot. The very bottom evaporator line and fins get cold but never make it to the top. Manual says " Refrigeration System Refrigerant Charge 4.5 ounces Compressor 955 BTU/Hr. Minimum compressor Capacity 23 inches Minimum Equalized Pressure @70°F........37 PSIG @90°F.......48 PSIG Right now I am sitting at 29.88 PSI locally. Can someone PLEASE help. I KNOW there is a compressor and relay and overload cap. and run cap. and a receiver/dryer. Any idea what is wrong and were to start next? I know there are NO leaks anymore and It healed a vacuum for two days. I'm guessing the lowest costing part first?

Any help or questions is appreciated. No help in another "Expert" forum I am in.

Kenmore model #363.9550610 from 1996

Thanks in Advance, Mike

Attachments

• 20170424_135317.jpg
    20170424_135317.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 125

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Mike,

after a 1500 mile move with a shipping company, it would not cool.
Why didn't you file a damage claim with the shipping company? since It was fine before the move.

When you work on a sealed system you always have to replace the filter drier then run a vacuum pump on it, then fill it with R134a.

Did any of the techs mention replacing the filter drier?

Jake

Mikew33

Premium Member
Problem happened to late. Claim window was 90 days. But that is neither here nor there.

No one has replace Dryer that is my next step but wanted to make sure.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake