• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

363.9752784 Kenmore refrigerator stopped working - no lights, no compressor, no fan

dchord

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I moved a Kenmore refrigerator (freezer on top) from my wife's old condo to the garage at our house about half a mile away. It was working fine at the condo for many years without issue. I plugged it into the GFCI protected outlet in our garage and it turned on and seemed to be working. The next day the GFCI was tripped. I understand that it is not uncommon for some refrigerators (especially older ones??) to trip GFCIs. Maybe this is because of the inductive load of the compressor or possibly that it's an outlet downstream from the actual GFCI, I'm not entirely sure.

I reset the GFCI and now it immediately trips when I plug in the refrigerator. I tried using an extension cord and plugged it into another GFCI circuit which tripped immediately as well. I then tried plugging the refrigerator via the extension cord into a non-GFCI outlet and nothing happens. There is definitely power -- I measured 124.3 v, slightly high but still within spec I guess. The odd thing is that nothing seems to be working. The fan doesn't come on, the lights don't come on and the compressor doesn't turn on. I assumed it must be some kind of fuse, but looking at the parts list I don't see a fuse. Would a start relay cause this? I assumed that would only affect the compressor. This refrigerator doesn't seem to be very complicated, so I'm thinking this has to be a simple fix.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-David

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Don't plug it into a GFI. All manufactures recommend not using a GFI circuit for refrigerators.