• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

363.9768511 Kenmore Fridge trips breaker when plugged in

A_A_Ron

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore Refrigerator model # 363.9768511. It's old but have never had any issues with it until now. We moved 1000 miles recently and it sat in storage for about 10 months. When we plugged it in and it tripped the GFI immediately. Used extension cord to plug into different circut and it tripped the breaker. Have attempted to troubleshoot it and found that when the ground wire from the wall plug was disconnected from the fridge body it would work. I let it run for an hour and both the fridge and freezer were cooling. But if I touch the wall plug ground wire to the body of the fridge it will trip the GFI. Thoughts?? Need more info? Please advise.

Thanks!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No major home appliances should be connected to a GFCI circuit.

GFCI is only for small appliances near a water source like a sink.

Take a photo of your wall outlet and take a photo of your power cord and upload them here.

Also take a photo of where your power cord connects at the refrigerator.

Jake

A_A_Ron

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply Jake!!

Yes, I agree that no major appliances should be connected to a GFCI circuit. This is a 2nd fridge in the garage. The GFCI outlet is located in another area of the garage and I will deal with that after I get the fridge running.

Here are the pics you asked for. The plug in the socket is a small freezer. The fridge was plugged in prior to purchasing the freezer so I know the freezer is not the problem.

I see no fraying of wires or burnt areas to indicate a short so hopefully your skilled eyes see something mine don't.

Attachments

• fridge1.jpg
    fridge1.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 18
  • fridge2.jpg
    fridge2.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 17
  • fridge3.jpg
    fridge3.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 18

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks!

Ok, if you plug a hair dryer into that outlet does the breaker trip once you turn it on?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then it sounds like a short in your refrigerator wiring to ground, check all the refrigerator wires at the back of the refrigerator.

Jake

A_A_Ron

Premium Member
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Update:
Unplugged all the connectors and worked my way from the compressor, to the fan to the fridge temp controller, freezer and icemaker. Plugged each one in, then plugged in power cord and then would touch power cord ground wire to fridge body to see if it would trip breaker (GFCI). All was good till I got to the icemaker. I plugged in the icemaker, then plugged in power cord and all was good. Then I touched ground from wall plug to the fridge body and that caused a short and tripped the breaker (GFCI). So then I reset breaker and removed the icemaker connected the ground wire from power cord to the fridge body and plugged it into wall and it is running without issues...so far.

So, I am assuming I have a bad icemaker. I tested all 4 pins of the icemaker with a multimeter on Ohm setting (in every configuration) and I get "OL" every time. I am a novice at best with electronics repair but as I understand it, those readings would indicate the icemaker is bad. I have a decent multimeter (Fluke 115). The fridge is still running hours later and definitely cooling.

I've uploaded a pic of the icemaker schematic thinking it may help with your assessment. It is embossed on a piece of white plastic so I hope the pic is readable. Took several pics and this was the best.

Thanks for all your help! Tons of respect for all you guys in the trades keeping things going. 👍

Attachments

• 20220704_190620.jpg
    20220704_190620.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 16

A_A_Ron

Premium Member
Thanks again for all your help Jake!!

Doesn't make sense to invest $190 into a new ice-maker for the garage fridge. Could probably get a whole new fridge for $400 LOL But I appreciate you hunting one down.

Aaron aka A_A_Ron

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree Ron.:)

Jake