Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFG298HDRS Samsung Refrigerator water dispenser making a lot of noise

Default RFG298HDRS Samsung Refrigerator water dispenser making a lot of noise

Model Number: RFG298HDRS
    Brand: Samsung

My Samsung refrigerator is 2 years old. For the last couple of months, it has been making a terrible noise when we dispense water. For lack of a better description, it sounds almost like a jackhammer. We can hear the noise throughout the living area of the house. We thought it might be the filter and we have now changed that twice. Ran the required water through the fridge after changing the filter and it diminshes for just a little bit, then the noise returns. It does dispense water...just makes this horrendous noise. It also makes the noise when filling the ice maker. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks in advance for your help.

Disconnect the hose behind the refrigerator and run it through into an empty bucket. This will check for water flow. If the noise still continues, you have a plumbing issue and need to call in a plumber to check this problem. If the water flow is coming out properly, you may have a sticking water valve problem.
    Appliance Repair Tech
    LG Authorized Servicer
    Danville, California

I had the same issue and we had a technician come out. It turns out this happened only when it dispensed water for the icemaker or when we actually dispensed water. It was the filter housing for us. Is it slow when you dispense water?
    1. Try removing the filter and dispense water. Noise go away?

- If yes, try replacing the filter. If it still has issues after you replace the filter or the filter is brand new, Call Samsung and get a tech out there. They replaced the filter housing and it now works.

- If no on the sound going away when the filter is removed and you dispense water then try messing with the water pressure up and down.

Is this something a handy DIY person can replace ourselves or do I have to call a service tech to come out? My two year old fridge is out of warranty... I hate Samsung products.

As a homeowner how much can I expect to pay for this fix? Can't seem to find the parts online for my RF4267HARS/XAA fridge.

Ok the part you need is DA97-11340A

The part will cost you from 100-175 alone online. If you pay for a company to replace the part for you, figure to add a service call plus labor on top of the part cost. The company I work for would charge 80 for service and 109 for labor. So it can be pricey.

On the repair, you have a French door so the repair is a slight different than what I mentioned. First unplug the refrigerator and turn the water off to refrigerator. You would not need to remove the lower grill guard as I originally mentioned, thought it was a side by side. First you would need to remove the crisper drawers. Then need to remove the shelf above the water filter assembly. Below is a picture of where their are 2 small tabs you must push in before you can lift up and remove the shelf.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Separate_Shelf_From_Filter_Housing.jpg 
Views:	5064 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	15254

The housing has a screw in the back to mount it to the back wall. Then you will find an electrical plug or two that needs to be unplugged.
    Then pull the ref. out and follow the water lines out of the back of the ref. There may be a small cover or two to remove. There are going to be multiple water lines coming out of the back. If I recall correctly for this unit, there are 4. One for the ice maker, one for water in door... these 2 go towards top right of back of unit. Then one to water supply and one to water valve at bottom behind metal panel. The water supply and water valve lines are easy to get to and disconnect. On the water valve you will find a small black clip at the end of the water line that can be removed. The water line is removed by pushing on the fitting to release the water line. Here is a vid I found online how this john guest fitting works. john guest fitting video instruction - YouTube

The 2 water lines going to ice maker and water in door line are the more difficult. There again may be a small cover to remove. These 2 lines enter the back wall at the same location at the top right of rear of the ref. One of the lines has a small ring around it which is a john guest fitting as seen the vid above. You just need to push this in and pull the line all the way out. Ive found this fitting hard to press in, so sometimes I would use my needle nose plyers to push on the ring while I pull on water line. Now for the water line for door is tricky. You must first go to the front above the left door. There is a plastic cover on the left side held down by a few phillips screws. Take them out and remove the cover, then you will find another john guest fitting to release the water line. Release the water line for the side going towards the rear of the unit. Once you release this, you should be now able to pull the line threw the back where it enters the rear by ice maker line.

Now you can finally remove the complete housing and begin installing the new one. You first just shove the water lines threw the back wall. Connect the 2 lines to the water supply and water valve. Then push the line for ice maker back into the john guest fitting. You keep shoving until the black mark on the line meets up with the ring on fitting. Then push the water line for door threw hole and connect to fitting at top of door. Just go back threw all of the things you unhooked and did to make sure its all back together.

This might sound like a lot to do, and it is! Espeically for the first time or someone who does not normally work on refrigerators. These new refrigerators are a lot more difficult to work on compared to older styles. If you need help or have any questions, comment here and I'll help as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by abstractj View Post
    Thanks RedX. Sounds like you're a service tech. As a homeowner how much can I expect to pay for this fix? Can't seem to find the parts online for my RF4267HARS/XAA fridge.
    Thats odd you couldn't find parts for your model, I found all the parts for your model here: Samsung Refrigerator Model RF4267HARSXAA Parts from RepairClinic.com

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thank you for the awesome part # and thorough instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by abstractj View Post
    Thank you for the awesome part # and thorough instruction.
    no problem. Doing repairs on these Samsung's can be tricky.

hey abstractj I replaced one of these filter housings today on a French door and took pictures. So if you are going to do it and want a few pics to go along with explanation, let me know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast