Thread: Compressor not starting

Default Compressor not starting

Model Number: 596.73509201
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

My Kenmore 596.73509201 refrigerator compressor is not starting. I replaced the starter relay about 9 months ago. At that time the old relay when shaken sounded like a rattle. This time around the relay sounds solid. I've measured the resistance between the start and run coils and found it to be 3.7, 5 and 8.7. Since 3.7 + 5 = 8 ohms, it sounds like there is not a short in the windings.
    I can replace the starter relay again but I'm concerned the compressor itself is causing the relay to fail?
    Some people say that if the resistance between the start and run is greater that 0.5 ohms the compressor is bad, others are silent on this condition.
    Thoughts?

Its your compressor thats bad now unfortunately, the piston inside it is locking up on it, even if the compressor pins ohm fine.

Time to go refrigerator shopping.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Yes that's pretty much what the tech said who came out. He used an ammeter on the wires going to the compressor then said the compressor was locked up.

I shopped all day yesterday. There are way too many options (and prices) out there. I heard Samsumg made a good product, do you agree?

Well, I started in the appliance repair industry in 1987, and worked at WARDS and SEARS 15 years between the two in their appliance repair departments, meaning going out to customers homes 5 days a week at about 8-10 service calls a day.

The major brands I got really got good at repair knowledge in is Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Amana, Admiral, Roper, Estate, Frigidaire and GE.

Now Samsung and LG came on the market about 2005, I quit Sears to start my own appliance repair company in 2005, so I had no official training or repair knowledge on Samsung and LG products.

So that question you asked about Samsung being a good product I can't answer since I haven't worked on any.

Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Amana, Admiral, Roper, Estate, Frigidaire and GE all have 50 plus years each of manufacturing appliances, Samsung and LG have 8 years, I advise people to stick with Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Amana, Admiral, Roper, Estate, Frigidaire and GE.

LG and Samsung make great TV's and monitors, and smartphones, but specializing in too many different products to me is not a good idea. Thats why GE is getting a bad reputation now with their appliances, the motherboard issue with their refrigerators was a nightmare.

You can ask Jeff and Rick who are techs and help out here, they will say the same thing.

We have a tech here wildimaginations

That works on Samsung and LG and is very well trained and has extensive knowledge of them. From reading the forum threads everyday, I noticed him saying their have been some recall fixes for some issues that have come up on Samsung and LG as of late.

So you may want to ask him about the Samsung appliance question of being a good product.

That being said, it seems all the appliance manufactorurs have at one time or another had to issue recall fixes for certian things, no appliance is perfect.

I own a admiral refrigerator, made by Maytag that I bought in 1999, and had one issue when it was still under warranty in the first year, and I fixed it myself, just needed a new condenser fan motor, the part I got from Maytag was free under warranty, and since then I have not had any other problems, and its still working great today in my kitchen.

I own a Kenmore 665 dishwasher made by Whirlpool made in 1997 and not one problem has come up, and thats still in my kitchen today.

The appliances I always recommend are Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Amana, and Frigidaire, but Frigidaire has had some issues as of late itself.

Your Kenmore 596 model was made by Amana. Amana was bought out by Maytag in about 2001, and Maytag was bought out by Whirlpool in about 2005. So Maytag and Amana are still on the market today under the supervision of the Whirlpool Corporation.

I haven't seen hardly any issues with Amana since Whirlpool owns them now.

I didn't mean to go on so long, but its something I've been needing to say for awhile.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts