Thread: Kitchenaid KUDK03CTWH3 dishwasher begins, then stops; Start button blinks

Default Kitchenaid KUDK03CTWH3 dishwasher begins, then stops; Start button blinks

Model Number: KUDK03CTWH3
    Brand: KitchenAid

Hi, I'm new here so forgive newbie stupid mistakes. I have a Kitchenaid KUDK03CTWH3 dishwasher that was in the house when we bought it last year so I don't know how old it is. It's been running fine, but this week it will start, run through pre-rinse, open the detergent door, then stop with warm water in the bottom and the Start light blinks like someone opened the door mid-cycle and forgot to start it again once they shut the door back. The water it is definitely circulating and heating. Anyone have any ideas?? Many thanks for any input!

When it does that can you open and the close door and start it again? Can you press the cancel button and it will drain and end?

Possibly the door latch switch assembly is cracked and not making good contact or the ribbon cable is starting to corrode.

Here's the parts diagram for those parts: Control Panel parts for Whirlpool KUDK03CTWH3 - AppliancePartsPros.com

They are in the control console. #7 is the door latch switch assembly, #9 is the door latch switch itself, #3 is your ribbon cable.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks Jake. Yes, I can open the door, then press Start again and it will start running again for a while, then stop and the Start light will begin blinking again. (For the longest time, I thought the kids were opening the door and forgetting to hit Start again, so I'd just hit Start and it would kick off, then I'd come back a few minutes later to see it blinking again. Finally figured out it wasn't the kids.) Yes, if you hit cancel, it will drain and end.

Will start teardown tonight now that I know where to begin. What's the best way to come into that console? Anything in particular I should know re: disassembly and what to look for once I'm in there?

Again, many thanks.

Just remove the screws on the inside door of the console, the screws are #6 in the parts diagram I posted above, should be 2 on each side.

Some models you also have to remove the outer door panel #4 here: Door and Panel parts for Whirlpool KUDK03CTWH3 - AppliancePartsPros.com

It should have screws on the inside of the door as well, turn your breaker off to the dishwasher first.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake, follow up on this...I did have to remove the outer door panel and then I was able to open up the console. While I had it apart I noticed that the door appeared to be bent down in the center at the latch point, and that the door was not shutting well because the dishwasher was not completely level. So, I bent the door back best I could and re-leveled the machine, and now it works fine!

I greatly appreciate your help! I could not have done this repair without your help.

Excellent, good job.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts