417.44042400 Kenmore Front-Load Washer Cycles Intermittently

ReverendTed

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Recently, our front-load washer has been getting "stuck" or "hung" and doesn't want to cycle properly. The symptoms are somewhat inconsistent, for example:
- It has simply stopped before the spin cycle, with and other times without what I believe is the sound of the pump motor running.
- It has been stuck running water into the drum while simultaneously pumping water out of the drum, endlessly.
- It seems to get stuck more frequently when in Normal Wash. Permanent Press seems to get stuck less, but still happens.
- The indicator lights don't appear to be accurate. They're not flashing (so not an error code?) but if it's running the Rinse and Door Lock lights are on regardless of what the actual cycle is - even if it's running the final spin.
- Sometimes a bump or nudge is enough to get it "unstuck". Sometimes I need to push in and pull out the timer knob (off and on). Sometimes it seems I need to turn it off, open the door, spin the drum a half turn, close the door back and turn it back on (though this may just be down to turning it off and on again). Other times I need to manually turn the timer one click and then it keeps going.
- There's a small dark gap between the outer timer ring (that the inner knob sits in) and the front cover and I can't recall if it was always like that. I'm wondering if something might have struck the knob downward.

I hadn't found these forums yet so based on gut instinct I ordered a new timer module. Does that seem like a likely culprit?
I read another thread that suggested unplugging and replugging the electrical connector to the timer module - I haven't tried that yet. (I believe in order to do that I need to unbolt the dryer which is currently mounted on top.)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Let's make sure its NOT siphoning the water out when its filling at the same time, Is your washer drain hose sitting above the top console and draining into a standpipe? Also make sure no duct tape is sealing that , you need air to get into that drain pipe to stop the siphon.

The drain hose has to be as high as the top of the washer, then the drain hose has to go into the drainpipe loosely so air can get in to stop the chance of it siphoning out on its own.

You mentioned the drain pump is running while its filling? If so, then it's not siphoning the water out. It would most likely be a bad timer, correct.

Here's the timer for your model:
134330900 Timer

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

ReverendTed

Premium Member
The issue has been diagnosed and fixed! It was a pretty quick and simple replacement. All I needed was a YouTube video to show me how to remove the control knob.

It looks like at some point the drum had been extremely unbalanced and struck the corner of the timer module, bending the frame of the timer and throwing what I'm going to call the "timer function pins" out of alignment with the "timer programming drum". That's why things seemed to be happening in a strange order and sequence. (To a layperson like myself, it's a fascinating bit of clockwork.)
20180410_171700.jpg20180410_171711.jpg20180410_171743.jpg20180410_171733.jpg

I replaced the timer module and everything seems to be functioning correctly. However, I was also able to bend the frame of the damaged timer module back into shape and reposition the "timer function pins" and "timer function pin guides" into their correct relationship with the "timer programming drum" so I think the original timer will be functional if I ever need it.

Here's a photo of the new timer in place - you can see how a sufficiently unbalanced drum could strike the corner of the timer module:
20180410_171635.jpg