417.81122310 Kenmore Dryer shuts off 10 seconds after starting and the cycle status LED lights blink

alexandra73

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Happy New Year everyone! I have a Kenmore Dryer shuts off roughly about 10 seconds after starting and the cycle status (drying, cool down, wrinkle guard) blinks. Error code E4A. Anyone knows what the blinking means and what could possibly cause it? I've cleaned it out thoroughly including the exhaust vent. The door sensor works properly as well. Please help. Thanks!

Alex

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I found

E4A
Condition: Long dry time

Check/Repair: The normal dry time for the cycle has been exceeded. This code usually indicated a problem with the heating system. Unplug the dryer and check the heating element or gas burner components. Replace any defective parts.

I also found:

E4A
This is a board communication problem, you need to replace the control board.

E4A
This is this is the "program Timeout Fault". Meaning the drying time has exceeded program time for that cycle.Press Pause Cancel and SELECT buttons for 6 seconds to exit test modes. Position cycle selector to NORMAL, temperature selector to HIGH HEAT and touch START. Check for anything that would extend dry times such as: no heat, restricted vent, blower fan blade broken or loose, dryer installed in closet with solid door, or bad connection in moisture sensor bar circuit or dirty bars. If dryer operates normally but code returns, replace electronic control.

If needed:

User-Control-and-Display-Board-137070890-01424433.jpg LINK> User power control board with housing

jeff.

alexandra73

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply Jeff. My dryer doesn't exceed normal program time. It works for a few seconds and shuts off with cycle status LED blinking. I did the testing as you mentioned and it's the same thing. I then put it on Air Fluff and it's the same situation again. I assume it's not with the heating component since without heating, it still doesn't work properly. Could it be the control board or anything else possible?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
My dryer doesn't exceed normal program time
Now....but could have earlier causing the code to appear and now you are seeing the not running and shutting off.

Could it be the control board or anything else possible?
I think it is definetly worth trying the board.

jeff.