FIXED 417.84092500 2005 Kenmore Dryer starts, no heat, stops in about 5 minutes with flashing lights

AstroBoy58

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Can’t complain as we’ve gotten a lot of service out of this dryer but it’s recently stopped heating. It will start the drum rotation but after a few minutes you realize it’s not heating up. It runs about five minutes then stops and leaves the four little lights on the right flashing. If you turn it off it’ll start right up again with the exact same behavior.

I’ve see that maybe it’s the heating element or a thermistor. My questions are, is it worth to fix this middle aged dryer? And if so, should I use this time to overhaul it and replace all the parts that normally wear out? And finally, if a overhaul is worthwhile what parts would you recommend to replace? I know the felt drum seal is going and the drum light is also out.

Thanks
Lance

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Lance,

What year is your model? If you Post the serial number and I can tell you.

It depends Lance, if your heating element is bad, then you will need a Heating Element 131553900

For the general parts that wear, Its better to just get the Dryer maintenance kit:
Maintenance Kit 5304457724

--->This dryer preventive maintenance kit is used on 2002-present models.

The rule of thumb usually is if your dryer is in use daily or many times a day, its best to retire it and get a new one after 10 years.

If your dryer use is 2 to 3 times a week, then its best to order the replacement parts.

Do you know how to ohm test your heating element and thermostats for the NO HEAT problem you have now?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, nevermind, I just the year of your dryer in the title 2005.:)

Jake

AstroBoy58

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick response. In answer to your earlier question the dryer has been used pretty consistently over its life but almost exclusively on the weekends. It probably does 5 to 6 loads every weekend. Would that change your thoughts on refurbish or replace? If not, I'll order the parts and give it a shot this weekend.

I'll see about checking out the thermostats this evening. I do have a digital multimeter and should be able to check its resistance. Is there a manual that would show me where/how to test the thermostats and heating element?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your insight and expertise.
Lance

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
5 to 6 loads is not extreme, so you may be better off replacing parts on it.

I'd first ohm test the heating element, that's the most common part to wear out after 10 years.

Here's the heating element assembly for your model you can order if yours is bad:
Heating Element Assembly 131553900

When you click the link to the heating element, you will see two videos, one on how to access/replace it, then one on how to ohm test it.

Just remove the wires to the heating element before ohm testing it.

Make sure the dryer is unplugged before opening up the dryer and ohm testing.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

AstroBoy58

Premium Member
Thanks, I was able to ohm test the heating element and it definitely appears to be the problem. There's no continuity at all. I've ordered a new heating element and the maintenance kit. I'll give you an update after I'm able to complete the work this weekend. Thanks for your assistance so far. It's definitely given me the confidence to tackle this job myself.

Lance

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup Lance, then new heating element should fix it.:)

Yes keep us posted on how it all goes.

Jake

AstroBoy58

Premium Member
Hello Jake, took the dryer all apart today. The heating element was definitely bad. It was actually broken in one spot. I put the new heating element in, put in all the maintenance parts and cleaned everything both inside and out. Probably spent about 2 hours and now it's running like a "top" or better said a brand new dryer. It's much quieter than it's been in years.

Thanks very much for all of your help. There's nothing wrong with the matching washer but maybe I'll get a maintenance kit for it and give it an overhaul. It's a front loader and at a minimum it could use a new door gasket/seal.

Thanks again!
Lance

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Lance, good job, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks for the update!

There's nothing wrong with the matching washer but maybe I'll get a maintenance kit for it and give it an overhaul. It's a front loader and at a minimum it could use a new door gasket/seal.
Sounds like a plan.:)

Both of our part suppliers we use here, AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic comes with a 365 warranty on all parts.

Jake