• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

417.88042700 Dryer runs and stops after 5-10 minutes

bmerz22

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My dryer will run for 5-10 minutes then shut off with the 4 lights flashing rapidly. I read through questions and answers on here and decided to replace the thermistor. After I replaced it I ran 4 loads through the dryer with no issue. On the 5th load same deal as before. I have tried a couple of times and keeps doing the same thing. I have also checked the codes. I have the "good" model (no digital readout). When I count the flashes the code does not match up to any of the ones listed. Please help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

So now after you replaced the thermistor will it still run all the way through for 4 loads at a time, then on the 5th it runs 5 to 10 minutes and stops? Are you able to start the dryer right away after it stops?

Is this the thermistor you replaced?

Thermistor 134587700

Jake

bmerz22

Premium Member
Yes that is the thermistor I replaced. It was the initial 4 loads after replacing the thermistor, now every time it will shut off after the 5-10 minutes. Yes I can it cancel to stop the lights from flashing then restart. One other thing is when I replaced the thermistor I found a large amount of lint below where the lint screen is. I cleaned all that out and looked through the tube in the dryer and all was clear. I also looked in the metal flex connected to the wall. I have not ran anything through the vent pipe in the wall to verify it is clear. Could this be a sign of clogged vent?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, a vent restriction is what I was thinking next.

A test would be to pull your dryer out from the wall, then take the vent hose off completely, then try a load to see if you get the same results or not. Yes your laundry room will get hot but this is just a test, not permanent.:)

Then check for excessive lint and clogs in the exhaust hose, and go outside your house and do the same where it vents out.

Jake

bmerz22

Premium Member
Did this test last night and found the air coming out of my dryer was not hot (not even warm) and ended in the same blinking lights result. This was with a load of wet clothes and the settings were- Temp:hot and more dry cycle. I also tried on temp setting normal and same result. Would I be correct in thinking a heating element?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, then next check your heating element, unplug your dryer first before accessing it and ohm testing it.

Here's the heating element for your model you can order if needed:
131553900 Dryer Heating Element Assembly

Watch this video to ohm test it for continuity:

[video=youtube;wq-3zsiBID8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq-3zsiBID8[/video]

Watch this video to access it:

[video=youtube_share;CLyk6FUHcmQ]https://youtu.be/CLyk6FUHcmQ[/video]

Jake