• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 417.88042700 Kenmore Dryer drum would jerk and stop, and now it is totally dead... no lights... nothing

rmswenson747

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
417.88042700, been working fine. dryer hadn't been used in a few days, so it was cold (no overheat, thermister issues), when suddenly when trying to start, the drum would jerk, and move a couple of inches, and then stop. no response from any of the controls. after about 4 of those events (having to unplug/plug to try again), the dryer is now 100% dead, no lights. power is fine, checked it carefully. i have no thoughts, wondering if anybody out there did...

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check the thermal limiter for continuity and check the door switch for continuity.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree with Rick.

Unplug the dryer first!

Ohm your thermal limiter with a multimeter for continuity , if no continuity, then its bad.

Watch this video:

Here's the thermal fuse for your model you can order, if yours ohm tests bad:
Thermal Fuse 134120900

There is a video in that part link that shows you how to access it.

Jake

rmswenson747

Premium Member
thanks guys... here is what i discovered...
  1. control thermistor ohms out about 55K... this is good per service manual (50K)
  2. door switch is good
  3. thermal limiter is good
interesting thing is that when plugged in, one side of the power source in the dryer only measures 90 volts AC (analog meter), while the other side measures 120 volts AC. unplugged the dryer, checked at the fuse box main, and at the dryer plug with dryer unplugged, both sides 120 volts AC. something is dragging down one side of the AC input. dryer is 13 years old... been having issues with the washer too... might be time for an upgrade :)

rickgburton

Staff member
one side of the power source in the dryer only measures 90 volts AC
OK that's the problem. Take the outlet out and check it for a loose wire. If you don't see anything obvious replace the outlet.

rmswenson747

Premium Member
sorry, i wasn't clear. i was measuring the line voltages inside the dryer, with it plugged in. with the dryer unplugged, the voltages at the outlet are fine. when i plug the dryer in, one side drops to 90 volts.

rickgburton

Staff member
You were clear. Here's what's happening; The wire is probably loose or almost broken on the outlet. When the end of the power cord is pushed into the outlet it spreads the metal piece in the outlet and you get a bad connection. Either that or the power cord is bad. Check each leg of the power cord for continuity

rmswenson747

Premium Member
holy crap.... the outlet receptacle was bad. in the process of troubleshooting per your advice, i actually got the L1 side back up to 120v, and the dryer worked. further playing around proved that the outlet was flakey, then the L1 side went totally dead. new outlet receptacle installed, all is good. i was on the verge of ordering a new washer/dryer combo, you saved me $1300 and the embarrassment of having the new dryer experience the same problem. BRAVO!!!!