• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

417.92702200 Kenmore Laundry Center - Light Thumping in Dryer

ghi935

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a Kenmore laundry center (417.92702200) that was in a home I bought in 2014. This is a stacked dryer. Recently started making a light thumping sound every 1ish seconds followed by 2 short tapping sounds (happy to send audio).

Initially, sounded like a shoe and I thought some clothes got balled up in a sheet but when I removed all clothes it's still thumping. The thumping does sometimes go away for a few minutes.

I replaced bearing and belt in 2014 and I think the drum dryer front glide. Trying to fix it myself but unsure where to start as most web suggestions are about changing worn rollers which this model doesn't have (I don't think). I did notice one of the outer screws missing from the back of the drum.

Also if I press upwards on the inside of the dryer drum there is about 1/8"-1/4" (I'm guessing) of movement/flex. Have a recording I can share if that would help. Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Are you sure you replaced the front seals? What usually causes that front glide felt pad to go bad is the rear bearing, Its always best to replace both while you have it apart.

This is the top front felt seal:
5303937182 Upper Felt Seal

This is the lower front seal:
5303283286 Lower Front Felt Seal

You can upload the recording to Youtube, or share it on Google Drive, or Dropbox, or any sharing service and post the link here.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I heard the noise.

Sounds like something is in one of your drum baffles.

(click to enlarge)
R0202517-00001.jpg

#30 are your drum baffles, you have 3 of them in your drum.
#29 are the drum baffle screws you will need to remove to take each drum baffle off to look for something in them making that sound.

Jake