5036FBN 7 At wits end with water heater, pilot keeps going out

furfishfeathers

Premium Member
Model Number
5036FBN 7
Brand
-major brand-
I have a Bradford White Model No: NO5036FBN7. Last night I noticed the pilot light was out and tried lighting many times but pilot would go out when I would release the button. Finally it stayed on and the burner lit and went through the cycle for 30 + minutes and sometime after I checked on it the pilot was out and could not get it to re light so I turned off gas and went to bed. This morning I got a new thermocouple at Lowe's and replaced it and it still would not stay lit when releasing button. I got a new gas control valve at Lowe's and installed and it fired up on the first try and burner kicked on and about 10 or 15 minutes into it I checked on it and burner and pilot were both out again. What should I do it check next?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Is this water heater on Natural Gas or Propane?

Jake

furfishfeathers

Premium Member
Update: I feel like an idiot. I Had the local plumbing company come out and do an inspection and he reset the high temp switch and said if it did it again to take the wires off and tape them together to bypass the switch. After he left it tripped so I bypassed the switch and it fired right back up and is running like a champ. I ordered a new thermal switch but won't have it until Friday. Have you heard of bypassing that switch as regular practice or is that a really bad idea?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Bypassing the high temp switch should only been done just for testing purposes.

Why can't you just go to your local hardware store or plumbing store and buy the new high temp switch? So you won't have to wait till Friday?

Jake

furfishfeathers

Premium Member
I called 7 different stores and none of them had it. Two of them were able to order it but said it was a week out so I ordered online. Do those ever go bad to where they will trip sooner (lower temperature) than they should? What other things should I look at that might cause it to trip?

furfishfeathers

Premium Member
It is a little round button type style part number 239-43676-02. The heater was installed back in 2005. Not sure how to attach a picture of the switch.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

To upload photos--->Just Click "Go Advanced" at the bottom right side of this Quick Reply editor that we type in, then you will see the MANAGE Attachments Button.

Wait, I just found it here: High Limit Thermostat 239-43676-02

Do those ever go bad to where they will trip sooner (lower temperature) than they should? What other things should I look at that might cause it to trip?
No, unless its just worn out.

They are suppose to trip when the water temperature is too hot.

Is your water temperature too hot?

Jake

furfishfeathers

Premium Member
I've got it set to the big tab between warm and hot and I get 140 degrees F at the tap. I've never tested the temp at the tap before so not sure if that's too hot. It feels about the same as a remember before the switch started tripping.

furfishfeathers

Premium Member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see it.

Today is Friday, did your switch come in?

Jake

furfishfeathers

Premium Member
Has worked fine since I bypassed it a few days ago. Put that switch on and used enough hot water to kick the burner on and it fired up and ran like normal for about 10 to 15 min then the temp switch tripped. Bypassed the switch again and itfired back up for about 5 minutes to finish the cycle and turned off like normal. What could be causing that combustion chamber to get to hot? That is where the switch is located just there on the inner door by the pilot site glass.
Thanks for your help and patience!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, I puzzled why this is happening.

I really have no clue now.

Jake