50s Frigidaire Replacement Cooling System

PONGO

Model Number
DS-90P
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and was wondering if I could have so help with my 1950s Frigidaire refrigerator. I recently acquired this refrigerator and want to bring is back to life. The model number is DS-90P. I am relatively new to restoring refrigerators. The problem is the original coil, relay, and compressor were not included with the refrigerator. It however came with a coldspot coil that I think is not original. Is there anyway to bring life back into this refrigerator? Is there a way to take a different refrigeration system similar to the original and retrofit it to the system or maybe compatible modern parts? I thought I would start here as I have not made much ground on finding a donor refrigeration system. My goal is to utilize the coldspot coil and put a compatible coil and relay on it. I have attached a picture of the refrigerator and coldspot coil. Should I try to rescue the refrigerator or will it be to costly?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 70
  • image0 (5).jpeg
    image0 (5).jpeg
    600 KB · Views: 64

Old Fridge Guy

Premium Member
In my opinion what you have is a parts refrigerator. The Seeger Perma-Thrift (Coldspot) condenser is scrap. You can't use it on the Frigidaire. Replacing the compressor and condenser is a major repair job that's best left to an experienced technician. Sending this refrigerator out to be restored will cost you several thousand dollars. My suggestion is to find another refrigerator like the one you have and use the parts you have to refurbish the second refrigerator. A DS-90 is the same refrigerator as the one you have, just with a painted finish. The "P" on the end of your model number denotes a porcelain finish. I don't mean to discourage you, but without the proper skills, this job is really not for you.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.