Thread: Samsung water in fridge of bottom freezer unit

Default Samsung water in fridge of bottom freezer unit

Model Number: RB215ABBP
    Brand: Samsung

I have just replaced the “heat strip” in the drain hole of my Samsung fridge, model RB215ABBP (bottom freezer) which we bought in Aug 2009. Been great up till now. We noticed water in the left veg drawer and could not figure out where it was coming from. I finally gave it my undivided intention and determined the water was coming from the bottom of the panel in the back of the cabinet. Poking around on the internet uncovered this forum: just what I needed.

The picture babaraccas posted was exactly what I needed so thanks much for posting it. While the panel did not come off as easily as I would have liked, I did come off. The four holes you see in the bottom section had ice plugs in them and a hair dryer took care of them, but not in short order.

There are three screws that must come out before you can tug the panel away from the wall. The screw at the top (with the red dot) is behind a pull out cover. And under the cover is a small plug of cushion foam. The foam pried out with a screwdriver. There was a nice coat of ice behind the foam and it took almost ten minutes with the dryer to expose it. And it was in pretty tight. Once i had it out I was able to unsnap the rest of the tabs along the edge of the panel. You unhood the panel by pressing the edge towards the center of the cabinet, starting at the bottom and working to the top. I had to press pretty hard on the top and think if I’d removed the center screw first they would have been easier to dislodge.

And once I had the panel and the attached styrofoam lose, I had to disconnect two connectors on the left hand top. They were a pain to get out. The other posters are right about the inadequacy of the metal strip Samsung used in the drain hole. I had to drill out the rivet used to clamp it to the heater strip and it went great. It’s aluminum.

With the panel out of the way, i used the hair dryer on the ice dam in the collection tray. Once the ice was melted down to the drain hole, I went to hot water. That works but slowly. I sped things up by getting a turkey baster to siphon out the water cooled by the ice plus. That worked for the first half inch of ice, so I switched to a soda straw to suck out the cold water. This worked quickly and it was not long before it was melted enough to let the hot water pass through. I poured about half a cup of hot water and said that’s done.

Wiped the cabinet and installed the panel, closed the fridge and plugged it in. This was mid afternoon. After supper and no dips, we put the shelves and food back in. The next morning it was still dry. After lunch by wife gave the bad news that water was back in the veg drawer. So out comes everything. (I did take one short cut from the beginning. I didn’t want to roll the unit away from the wall, so I turned off the circuit breaker.) I got the panel out and suspected that the metal plate with it’s deflector edge was not going over the collector tray, thus letting defrosted ice on it, drip onto the cabinet wall. And the styrofoam taped to the panel felt very cold. So outside to the sunshine it went, as the hair dryer seemed as slow as Christmas.

As I was positioning the panel in the sun, I found that the styrofoam had water in it. I pressed it into paper towels as best I could. After two hours in the sun, it still felt cool, so I slowly “peeled” it away from the panel and found a thin sheet of ice. This is what was melting and dripping onto the wall and into the veg drawer. Removed the ice, blotted some more water from the styrofoam, and taped the stereo and metal deflector piece in place with some aluminum tape I had from another project.

Then everything went back into the fridge over the next few hours of letting it get cold first. It’s now five days later and everything is dry as it should be. I know this is long and hope it helps somebody down the road. Cannot figure out how to attach the pict babaraccas posted that shows how to remove the panel. Sorry....

Hi,

Here is that thread: FIXED Samsung water in bottom of refrigerator - Page 4

Is this the pic:

(click to enlarge)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fridgepic.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	27523

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

That's the one. I'l have to spend the time to learn how to attach on this forum. Thanks, Rufus

Glad to help Rufus!

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Learned something new today, thanks for re-posting