Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSF25IGZBBB GE side by side fridge section freezing food

Default GSF25IGZBBB GE side by side fridge section freezing food

Model Number: GSF25IGZBBB
    Brand: GE

Hey guys. I have searched around the forums trying to figure this out, but haven't had much luck. My model number is GSF25IGZBBB and I've had it about 4 years.

Noticed the fridge seemed warm one day and the freezer looked like it was freezing through the defrost cycle as there were drops of water frozen toward the bottom of freezer.

Found out the damper door wasn't opening and tested the fresh food thermistor. It read 14.5k ohms so it was bad-I replaced it and it read 16.3k ohms. Now fridge freezes everything! The damper door opens and closes because I can shine a light through and see it is open at times.

Is it staying open too long? What could cause this to happen? Is there a main thermostat that could be bad or a circuit board? Thanks for all the help!!

Dru

Hi Dru,

That's interesting, and you replaced the fresh food thermistor near the damper #242 here: Parts for GE GSF25IGZBBB: Fresh Food Section Parts

If so, then Yes, if your new fresh food thermistor tests fine now and your damper door is moving, then its the motherboard that's the problem. That's basically all it can be really.

Here's the motherboard for your model you can order here:
    GE WR55X10942 Main Control Board - AppliancePartsPros.com

I also noticed #429 is the complete damper door thermistor assembly, and the part number has changed to this one below:

GE WR13X10988 Damper Cover Asm - AppliancePartsPros.com

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Ok so I installed the mother board. Still freezing food. Only issue I had installing was the ground wire. The one out of the back of the fridge had a connector that I unplugged and removed with the old board. The new one I installed I hooked to the screw on the panel cover. I didn't do anything with the old wire though. Was I supposed to splice it and connect it to the new ground or just leave it unplugged? Also, if I didn't cut the wire bc I was thinking model number instead of serial number could it cause the fridge to freeze the food? Thanks for all the help. I am determined to get to the bottom of this.

Sorry last part was a little confusing. The wire cutting was for the pin connector on one of the plugs. Would it cause the fridge to freeze if I didn't cut that? If it's any help, the digital readout on the freezer says the actual temp is 0 in freezer and 37 in fridge...which is definitely wrong bc everything is frozen in fridge

Ok,

Look here: FIXED I did not cut wire at circuit board

STEP 2 - ELIMINATE THERMISTOR WIRE IN PIN 2 of J1 CONNECTOR (see note below) IF NO WIRE IN PIN 2, PROCEED TO STEP 3
    NOTE: This step ONLY applicable for the following models:
    All BOTTOM FREEZER models
    ENCODE models with the following serial number prefixed: TD2, VD2, ZD2, AF2, DF2, FF2, GF2, HF2, LF2, MF2, RF2, SF2

So your model is NOT a bottom freezer model, your model is a side by side.

So if any of those serial number prefixes match your refrigerator serial number then cut the wire.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

So I just checked and my model isn't one of those so I don't need to cut the wire. How about my ground issue from my first post..could that cause any issues?

Correct, don't cut any wires.

The instructions say to capture the included ground wire eyelet under a cover screw.

Another member said he did this:

the ground wire on new board uses a screw to ground and original board it has a connector that hooks into a green wire in harness. When i installed new board i transfered green wire from old to new so i could just connect ground back into connector and not have to cut wire.
    Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Ok. Replaced motherboard. Replaced 2 thermistors-one in freezer on evap coil and one in fridge by the damper door. Fridge still freezing food and my digital display still says 37 degrees on fridge when clearly it's below 32 degrees as a gallon of milk is frozen. What are other things to test/try? I hate to call a repairman because the cost will be close to a new over/under fridge. Thanks again for all the help getting this far. Would really like to prove to my wife(who says just get a new one) that I can fix more than cars!

I'm afraid we are at a dead end, since the damper part number changed and it now comes with a new thermistor, then they may have upgraded this damper part, and I know you didn't order the complete damper assembly I posted above.

That's about the only thing it could be at this point.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

So if I order that damper all should be fixed. Im assuming its possible for my damper to open and close(bc it is) but still be bad? But would that change my digital temp display? It's reading way off. Or is that a separate issue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast