FIXED 587.15379100A Kenmore Dishwasher lights but won't start

mtl4

Premium Member
Model Number
587.15379100A
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Well everyone knows what a code blue it is when the dishwasher doesn't work and now the pressure is on again because it stopped working tonight. The issue is that when you push the start button to begin the cycle the panel lights up (see photo) just like you'd expect but then there's no noise (indicating the cycle has started). I check for power and I'm getting a full 120V on the input side so no issue there. I then started by checking the door switch (see photo) and it checked out just fine (continuity on both sides). I looked at the mainboard (see photo) to see if there was something obvious and again I didn't see anything there either. I also looked for a fuse and couldn't find one so at this point I'm stuck. Any help on what it might be or what to test would be most helpful.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That's only a partial model number. Call Sears and set up a warranty service call. Everything is covered for the first year. If you attempt a repair you risk losing your warranty.

mtl4

Premium Member
This is well past the warranty, all the appliances were bought new in 2011 when the house was built (we just bought it this Sept 2016).

Here's the full model number: 587.15379100A

I don't want Sears working on my stuff at this point (post warranty) so is this something you've seen at all? any next steps for testing? This can't be that hard because there aren't that many parts in there (mainboard, control panel, door switch, pump, harness, thermostat/thermistor), just looking for what is most likely culprit given the symptoms and if I can eliminate anything through testing (I'm an engineer so not scared to get my hands dirty to figure out the issue).

Last edited:

mtl4

Premium Member
Not sure if this changes things a bit or not but I switched off the breaker last night and went to bed, then in the morning I turned on the breaker again to give it one last try. When I hit the start button the machine started to make some sounds like the pump was working but it sounded like possibly bad bearings. Could it simply be the the sump pump is bad and thus it is stuck in the first part of the cycle trying to evacuate any water in the bottom of the dishwasher before filling for the new cycle?

Also what is the function of the thermistor and could that be causing this issue?

The assistance is most appreciated.

Last edited:

mtl4

Premium Member
Ok I pulled out all the pumps to test them as well as the thermistor, level sensor and water solenoid. I couldn't find anything wrong with any of them (I applied 120v to both pumps and both ran smoothly) so that definitely puts me back to the mainboard or the touch panel as the likely culprit.

mtl4

Premium Member
Great, thanks again for the help Rick..........I'll report back once I get the new one installed.

mtl4

Premium Member
Well Rick, your advice was spot on. Replacing the motherboard caused it to begin working 100% again.

The water valve sounds a bit strange so I may replace that too but thanks again for all the help!