587.16142402 Kenmore Dishwasher - Can't figure out why dishwasher wont start

aspaziani

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My Kenmore Quite Guard Standard (Model# 587.16142402) just quit working mid cycle one day. I took the front panel apart and tested the latch switch, no resistance when closed and I'm getting 120v out the other end. I tested the timer motor and it falls within spec (~2.2k ohms at the terminals). I took off the power bus and tried jumping power to various components (drain motor, detergent door, etc) but even though i was getting ~120v to the components nothing engaged. I'm not sure how this is possible and I'm stumped as far as a possible cause/solution. Has anyone come across anything similar?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, You should have continuity on the door switches when the door is closed. Also check the plastic latch mechanism to see if its cracked/broken.

Watch this video to ohm test them:

If the door switches are good, and your getting 120 volts to the timer and nothing works, then it has to be a bad timer.

Here's the timer for your model:
Manufacturer part number 154495901

Jake

aspaziani

Premium Member
Thanks Jake,

I have continuity at the door latch, and I'm getting 120v to the timer. but even if i remove the wire harness going to the timer and jump the power terminal to various components nothing engages. I don't see any other reason nothing would respond.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm attaching your tech. data sheet and wiring diagram below.

Look at the wiring diagram on Page 2, jump W to BU(2T) and the pump motor should come on.

Remember the door MUST be closed to do this.

Jake

Attachments