Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenmore 253.9287413 Freezer Compressor not running, trips breaker

Default Kenmore 253.9287413 Freezer Compressor not running, trips breaker

Model Number: 253.9287413
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

We bought this freezer last summer. Cosmetically, it is in near mint condition and was used only for hunting overflow. The door seal is pristine. We got a great deal on it.

After reading the closed thread here I'm not very optimistic about this thing getting repaired.

It was working fine until a few months ago. I installed a Supco RCO210 3 in 1 starter condenser and the compressor was fine until a week ago. I just happened to notice that there was no pilot light on and then saw that there were no lights inside and no fan or compressor sounds. The breaker had tripped hence no alarm (there should have been a battery there).

I reset the breaker but no joy... no compressor start. I did a search on the model number and found this forum... and the closed thread of doom.

How can I test the RCO210..? How can I determine that the compressor does indeed need a toe-tag and burial. I really thought we would get 5-10 years out of this machine...

Thanks in advance
    -Jim

Hi Jim,

So each time you turn the breaker on, the starting of the freezer compressor kicks it off?

If so, that indicates a grounded compressor. If you have a multimeter, set it on ohms and put one meter probe on each of the compressor pins, and the other meter probe on the metal compressor casing and see if the meter reads anything.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks Jake

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but no, the only time the breaker tripped is when I first discovered it.

The contents of the freezer was long defrosted (no backup on the alarm) and of course the compressor was room temperature.

I have cleaned it out and plugged it back in a couple of times but I never hear anything from the compressor or feel any vibration. I haven't left it on for any length of time yet.

I was suspecting that the 3 in 1 had failed and was researching that when I found this forum. I haven't found any info for testing the RC0210. Is that the correct 3 in 1 for this freezer..?

Thanks
    -Jim

Ok Jim, got it now!

3n1 hard start kits are aftermarket and are NOT recommended to replace the original OEM compressor start relay and overload, I always carry the 3n1 hard start kits in my truck just for "TESTING" only in case the compressor start relay goes out and I want to see if the compressor will still fire up. I NEVER leave them installed in place of the compressor start relay, as they do more harm than good when left on permanently.

The only way to test a 3n1 hard start kit is check for 120 volts IN , that's all.

On this model you do have a electronic control board: Main Control Board 216695700 BUT its No Longer Available from the factory.

If that board is bad, then you won't get 120 volts to the compressor start relay or to the 2 wires that go into the 3n1 hard start kit, thus the compressor will never try to even start.

This is a 1999 model, so its lasted way beyond its normal lifespan. The Average life of these freezers is 8-12 years.

If I was you I'd go freezer shopping.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks Jake

I'll plug it in and grab a meter tonight... I'll have more time and will be able to have it plugged in for awhile and keep an eye on the breaker.

Is there a way to see if the recall service was ever performed, by checking my serial number..? I seem to remember the guy we bought it from mentioning that it had a new compressor, blah, blah that I just chalked up to a sales-pitch.

Is there a schematic for the main control board available..?

Thanks
    -Jim

What recall are you referring to?

Jim, since this is a 1999 model even if there was a recall its way past the date of recall and you wouldn't get anywhere with it, I'm sorry to say.

That's why I always mention be careful when you buy appliances from private parties, seen to many folks get ripped off doing that.

I always recommend buying used appliances from a reputable used appliance stores in your area that's been in business for years and give you at least 30 days warranty, some will give you 60-90 days warranty, and you will know you can always go back to the used appliance store if any problems like this arise.

Is there a schematic for the main control board available..?
    No, unfortunately not.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    What recall are you referring to?

Jake
    The recall is mentioned in this thread:

kenmore upright freezer 253.

I think everything that I know about this model, I found from reading that closed thread. The second post in it is yours:

"...If the model# starts with a 253 then there has been problems with that unit.
    The sealed system which includes the compressor had some trouble with compressor oil clogs from the extreme compressor heat.
    There is a fix for this, if its under 5 yrs old, it will be free of charge covered under the 5 yr. warranty. Its odd though it just started not cooling after the power outage, but can happen anytime...."

I found some time to meter the connections at the compressor. The black, white and red leads in various combinations always read 135VAC. This sounds high and is a non-related problem I guess since the wall socket also reads 135VAC. Either my Harbor Freight meter or a house wiring problem...

I'm thinking of trying another 3in1 unit before giving up on the freezer. Do you know what the compressor rating is for this model..?

Thanks
    -Jim

LOL, yes, that's one of our first threads when we started this forum in 2004, but its already 2017 and that recall is long over.

I found some time to meter the connections at the compressor. The black, white and red leads in various combinations always read 135VAC. This sounds high and is a non-related problem I guess since the wall socket also reads 135VAC. Either my Harbor Freight meter or a house wiring problem...

I'm thinking of trying another 3in1 unit before giving up on the freezer. Do you know what the compressor rating is for this model..?
    That is strange about the 135 volts.

It should have a compressor ratings label on the compressor itself.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

I couldn't find an HP rating on the compressor. I found a label with:

0199479 (prob ser no?)
    RF-107-1 (prob mod no?)
    3699 (prob manuf date?)
    Americold

I think it is a 1/3HP... crossed referenced on a Tecumseh site to one of their replacements.

The 3in1 should have worked for it but I have ordered a different one anyway. I'll post again after I try that... I can always use a spare on hand.

Oh, BTW if you are getting questionable AC readings on household outlets (ie 135VAC), try changing the battery in your meter. My outlets now read 123.3VAC.

-Jim

Oh, BTW if you are getting questionable AC readings on household outlets (ie 135VAC), try changing the battery in your meter. My outlets now read 123.3VAC.
    Good find!

I think it is a 1/3HP... crossed referenced on a Tecumseh site to one of their replacements.
    Yes, I think your right about it being 1/3 HP.

Keep us posted.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast