596.52673202 Kenmore Refrigerator Cools but overloads circuit breaker

Speedy

Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore S by S that I made the mistake of pressure washing. After giving it time to dry out I plugged in back up and it immediately tripped the circuit breaker. It has been sitting in the garage for several months unplugged so I plugged it up again. It runs about 4 Hours then trips the circuit breaker. I reset breaker and it runs another 4 hours. Seems to cool fine but just overloads the breaker.
Have any ideas?

Speedy

I have a Kenmore S by S that I made the mistake of pressure washing. After giving it time to dry out I plugged in back up and it immediately tripped the circuit breaker. It has been sitting in the garage for several months unplugged so I plugged it up again. It runs about 4 Hours then trips the circuit breaker. I reset breaker and it runs another 4 hours. Seems to cool fine but just overloads the breaker.
Have any ideas?
What's the amp draw when it's running? Is it on a GFCI circuit?
I don’t know how to determine the amp draw but it is on a CFI Circut.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Most all manufactures recommend not using a GFCI circuit for refrigerators. For testing purposes use a regular circuit wall outlet and check if the problem still exists. To measure current draw you need an amp probe or meter that can measure amps. The easiest most common way is the clamp style that goes around one wire. If your meter has a 10A Fused setting you can use that but you need to break the circuit and connect it in line with one of the power legs

If you don't have one that's fine. I don't believe your refrigerator is building up amps and overloading your circuit. It sound like something changes every 4 hours. Perhaps it goes into a defrost cycle and trips your breaker. Check the wires and defrost heater for a short.