• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 596.68942802 Ice build-up on bottom of freezer (Bottom mount)

Deb F

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi everyone. Hope I am doing this correctly.
I have a Kenmore Elite bottom mount freezer refrigerator, little over a year old.
Noticed water outside fridge door once or twice but no sign of water running from fridge itself. Finally discovered that bottom of freezer was covered with a sheet of ice. removed ice about 2 days ago & there is a fine coating there again. In researching problem I found this forum & it seems like many people have had same problem. I have a rough idea what could be causing it after reading the various threads but wonder if someone could advice me of what to do try with instructions specifically for my model, with pictures if possible :eek:? I would really appreciate any help with this. Thanks so much!

stephanfromnj

Premium Member
I have the same problem her in New Jersey, and would love to get an answer, and hopefully fix the problem myself before paying a Sears rep to comeout!

Deb F

Premium Member
Hey, that was quick from New Jersey! :)
I am more optimistic of actually being able to solve the problem after doing some googling today but I tell you when I discovered this problem in a 'new' fridge I was not a happy camper.
Is yours the same model as mine, by any chance?
I also should have mentioned that mine has fittings (?) for ice maker but it is not connected. I have never had anything connected to this refrigerator, in case that matters.

stephanfromnj

Premium Member
I think you'll get a great answer from one of the guys that run this forum. It's already saved to my favorites. My freezer is strictly a freezer - no ice maker here. I got my unit back in 2000 (got it really discounted) and didn't install it until I bought my house in 2002.

The response to my post was that I probably had a clogged drain hole since I have a frost free model. I just have to get rid of the ice, and pour some hot water down the drain.

Good luck with the freezer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you have to take all the food out of your freezer and remove the shelf/shelves then remove the back panel from inside the freezer, the middle air vent has 2 small clips inside you will see on each side you release and that pops out.

The back panel inside the freezer is #7 and the vent is #14 here:
K0911003-00002.jpg

You will need a hair dryer and hot water to melt the ice thats covering the defrost drain hole.

Then run something down the defrost drain hole.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake: http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/Cooler-Spider-Snake__CLR4690.aspx

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out.

Jake

stephanfromnj

Premium Member
Good afternoon Jake. I took the bottom tray and shelf out. Then I removed the panel at the back of the freezer. I chipped off all of the ice found on the floor of the freezer (which unclogged the 3 vents), and then slowly poured hot water down the drain hole. It is now clear, and I can definitly feel a better air circulation. The cooling coils were found to have been frosted on the ends only, not in the middle section where the fins are. the other thin I notices if the behind the temperature adjust knob, the housing is protected by a small styrofoam cup. The cup is not entirely secured over this switch. Probably happened prior to my working on the freezer. There was some ice/frost buildup on the food while I worked on it, but by this morning, most of it was already gone. However, the fan still seems to be working continuosly. Does this mean a thermostat problem. Any other suggestions, or should I just keep checking the unit periodically.

Deb F

Premium Member
Thanks for the help.
It's fixed - for now, anyway!
It wasn't easy or fun though.
Very difficult to remove the back panel because it was iced up on bottom so that had to be chipped away or melted with the dryer first. Then it was hard to remove the vent cover. The tabs are very hard & not pliable at all. There was also another plastic cover (probe?) (#23 from diagram), that had to be removed & then the ice maker connection had to be removed so that the panel could come out to allow to me work in there. Broke off the tab for the ice maker connection trying to remove it. Then the cooling coil apparatus is only about 1/4 of an inch or less above the drain hole, so it was very difficult to do anything, even to see if it actually was a hole. There was that much ice there it was hard to say. It took a long time, alternating between the the hair dryer, hot water placed in freezer, & hot water poured down hole to finally clear the hole. I did not find what was blocking it so now I am kind of worried that this might be a regular thing. Sure hope not! Also, beware for anyone who is comepletely new to all this, those coils in back are SHARP. I cut my finger!
All in all though I am happy that i was able ot fix this myself & not have to call for servicing & I thank you guys for this forum & others on the net that made it possible. Thank God for Google, I say!! :D

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good afternoon Jake. I took the bottom tray and shelf out. Then I removed the panel at the back of the freezer. I chipped off all of the ice found on the floor of the freezer (which unclogged the 3 vents), and then slowly poured hot water down the drain hole. It is now clear, and I can definitly feel a better air circulation. The cooling coils were found to have been frosted on the ends only, not in the middle section where the fins are. the other thin I notices if the behind the temperature adjust knob, the housing is protected by a small styrofoam cup. The cup is not entirely secured over this switch. Probably happened prior to my working on the freezer. There was some ice/frost buildup on the food while I worked on it, but by this morning, most of it was already gone. However, the fan still seems to be working continuosly. Does this mean a thermostat problem. Any other suggestions, or should I just keep checking the unit periodically.

Yes, don't worry about the fan, it will run continuously for awhile at least. Just keep checking it periodicity.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the help.
It's fixed - for now, anyway!
It wasn't easy or fun though.
Very difficult to remove the back panel because it was iced up on bottom so that had to be chipped away or melted with the dryer first. Then it was hard to remove the vent cover. The tabs are very hard & not pliable at all. There was also another plastic cover (probe?) (#23 from diagram), that had to be removed & then the ice maker connection had to be removed so that the panel could come out to allow to me work in there. Broke off the tab for the ice maker connection trying to remove it. Then the cooling coil apparatus is only about 1/4 of an inch or less above the drain hole, so it was very difficult to do anything, even to see if it actually was a hole. There was that much ice there it was hard to say. It took a long time, alternating between the the hair dryer, hot water placed in freezer, & hot water poured down hole to finally clear the hole. I did not find what was blocking it so now I am kind of worried that this might be a regular thing. Sure hope not! Also, beware for anyone who is comepletely new to all this, those coils in back are SHARP. I cut my finger!
All in all though I am happy that i was able ot fix this myself & not have to call for servicing & I thank you guys for this forum & others on the net that made it possible. Thank God for Google, I say!! :D

Good job Deb.:)

Jake

stephanfromnj

Premium Member
StephanfromNJ

After cleaning out the frozen drain pipe, and I guess a couple of thaw cycles to remove the frost that built up on the food in the freezer, I think it's finally running correctly as well. The drain is still ice free, and the unit actually reaches temp., and shuts down.

Very happy for the help, and like Deb, glad I can save some $$$ from not having to call the service guys.

Thanks, Stephan.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Stephan, good job.:)

Jake

Joe K

Premium Member
I have a Kenmore Top Freezer refridge model #795.69292902, 1 year old, that has ice build up on the bottom of freezer twice now that I have chipped out. Is the concensus that the drain pipe may be frozen over and that I can remove the back panel and try to remove the ice from the drain? Is this normal for a fridge that his 1 year old.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, its not normal, check your receipt of when you bought it, if its still under a year old have Sears come out and fix this for you under warranty.

Jake

Joe K

Premium Member
No, its not normal, check your receipt of when you bought it, if its still under a year old have Sears come out and fix this for you under warranty.

Jake

can I fix it like others have by taking off the panel and cleaning out the hole?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sure you can, I don't know why this happens, All I know is its been happening to the Kenmore 795 made by LG and the LG models themselves more than any other brands, so I'd say its a engineering defect from LG.

Jake

Joe K

Premium Member
An recommendations, tips on removing my back panel and cleaning out the hole to make things easier? Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I haven't taken the back panel off this model as of yet, but it should be fairly straight forward, remove the ice maker first if you have one, then you should see screws that hold the back panel in place, just remove those, then it just pulls forward and out.

Jake

Joe K

Premium Member
Drain is now free of ice. What do you think of this idea from another person ................... Since then, I attached a section of copper wire to the defrost element (wrapped wire around a few times) and ran it down the tube about 4 inches. It's been a few months in operation, and so far, so good. The wire conducts heat from the defrost element and should melt any water that might freeze at top of hole.

Joe K

Premium Member
same idea from another person/

Here's another tip for those of you who have this problem recur: take a piece of wire (copper or a better heat-conducting metal works best), place one side down the drain tube for about 4-6 inches and wrap the other end around one if the defrost heater elements. That will keep the drain warm enough to remain above the water freezing point during defrost.