596.69312010 Kenmore Fridge Freezer fine, fridge not cooling

RLT

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello!

Needing some assistance in fixing my Kenmore Bottom-Freezer refrigerator. The freezer is working great, but the fridge portion is not maintaining temperature. First time having issues with it and age is around 2 years old. I've checked the coils they looked great, and the exhaust fan looks to be working just fine. In the 'temp picture' you can see the Fridge is automatically exhausting the freezer air into the fridge. I can feel cold air coming up into the compartment. It does not appear as if there is any blockage. But the fridge won't hold a temperature.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Thank you!

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Look on the evaporator cover (freezer section, back wall) and check for any frost. You might need to use your hand.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, leave the machine plugged in and running while you remove the evaporator cover and check the frost pattern. You want to see a very light coat of white frost on all the coils top to bottom. Take a picture and post it if you're not sure.

rickgburton

Staff member
Best I can tell, that's a good frost pattern. Go behind the refrigerator and remove the cover over the machine compartment and feel the compressor to see if it's running. Compressors normally run warm to very warm. A compressor that's running hot to extremely hot usually indicates a sealed system issue.

RLT

Premium Member
The compressor is running and feels very hot to the touch. I can keep my hand on it but just barely.

rickgburton

Staff member