596.69313010 Fridge Won't Cool - Freezer Works Fine

gilly

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi there. I posted this in a different section of this forum and then realized it might be suited to this section. I’ve been reading through this forum for a couple weeks trying to diagnose an issue I’m having with our Kenmore fridge (top fridge with bottom freezer).

Model number 596.69313010. Here’s the issue: my kids left the top refrigerator door open all night (it’s our second refrigerator and is in our garage). When I left for work the next morning I closed the door and went to work. Later on we noticed beverages seemed warmer than they should be, so I started snooping on this forum. Here’s what I’ve done so far:

- pulled fridge out from wall and removed the lower rear panel to have a look. The fan was running and I didn’t notice any issues out of the norm.

- then I checked to make sure the mechanical vent inside the upper refrigerator opened and closed - it opens/closes fine, but the airflow going through the vent was lukewarm at best.

- then following some threads and comments by "Jake", I went into the freezer (bottom section) and removed the back panel to expose the defrost thermostat and heater. I checked the polarity of both the defrost thermostat and defrost heater. Both units had polarity. However, there was a significant amount of ice buildup on the defrost thermostat (see pics below).

- now that these items have been ruled out, I’m leaning towards the Jazz device "Jake" had mentioned in other threads. Looking at diagrams of my fridge online, it looks like the Jazz board on my refrigerator is located inside the top door within the same housing as the lighting unit. Here are my thoughts...since the door had been left open all night, perhaps there had been enough heat being given off by the light bulbs inside the housing that it caused the Jazz board to short/break. Or...maybe the refrigerator was trying to cool itself all night long and it iced up to the point something internally might be clogged somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any input you might have. I really appreciate it!

brian

kenmore 596-69313010.jpg
IMG_0328.jpg
IMG_0329.jpg
IMG_0330.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi gilly,

Ok, I'd first turn the refrigerator off, then get a hair dryer and defrost all that frost and ice build-up on your evaporator coil. Keep moving the hair dryer back and forth.

If the refrigerator door is accidentally left open all night, warm air comes in to the coldest spot in your refrigerator which is the evaporator coil, and condensates there and that's what your seeing on your evaporator coil.

So starting over with a completely clear of ice and frost evaporator coil usually resets it back to normal.

Put your evaporator cover back in place when your done, because that cover forces the air through the evaporator coil and up to the refrigerator section.:)

Let us know how it goes.

Jake