596.72382411 Frost build up in freezer, mechanical noise

alan664

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Local repair people don't work on this "LG / Samsung" model, apparently it's too complicated with it's two evaporator coils, sensors, and circuit boards. I haven't found any good info via Google on this model, which has french doors, a refrig drawer, and a freezer drawer on the bottom.

With frost buildup, I guess that means defrosting is not happening, which then means the heater element is bad, or some sensor is bad, or the controller board is bad. Anyone have any suggestions for what to test to determine where the problem is? Is there a way to force a defrost cycle, and is that a good test to run?

alan664

Premium Member
To clarify, the frost is on the back wall and on the evaporator coils that I can see through the back cover slots.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Kenmore 596 is made by Amana.:)

I located the defrost heater, its behind the back panel inside the freezer underneath the evaporator coil, but I couldn't find the defrost thermistor or defrost thermostat, but it should be clipped to the top coil of the evaporator.

Here's the defrost heater for your model: Defrost Heater Assembly WP12729128

Here's the video that shows you how to ohm test it: Fridge Not Defrosting? Defrost Heater Testing

Make sure the refrigerator is unplugged first!

Jake

alan664

Premium Member
We did find a local tech to respond a day or so later, and he said the issue was probably that the door didn't completely close and seal for a time, leading to the ice buildup, and to just empty and turn it off for 24 hours for a full defrost. We did that and it seemed to work for months, but the ice build up has occurred about 4 times since, so about every 3 months. So far we've just done the full defrost each time. If a component was bad, could it take 3 months for ice to build up to the point of reducing cooling and fan blades hitting the ice?

But a new problem with our current instance of buildup, is that there was also a pond of water under the crisper. I've started another thread on that, which is due to a cracked (actually broken into 5 pieces) drain pan.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the update!

If a component was bad, could it take 3 months for ice to build up to the point of reducing cooling and fan blades hitting the ice?
Yes, possibly the defrost thermostat, which I just located, it comes with the evaporator fan motor. The defrost thermostat is the black circular part that clips to the top of your evaporator coil.

The way to test the defrost thermostat is to unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet, then pull that plastic electrical connector out that it goes to, it unsnaps, then use your multimeter and set it on 200 ohms and ohm test the defrost thermostat WHILE ITS FROSTY, if it's not frosty you will not get a proper reading. If your meter doesn't change numbers while your ohm testing it, then its bad. It should read 0 ohms WHILE FROSTY.:)

The wires you will need to ohm test from that electrical connector are the orange and brown ones.

Here's the defrost thermostat and evaporator fan motor for your model:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, are you referring to frost build-up on the evaporator coil inside the freezer section? Or refrigerator section?

That evaporator fan motor with the defrost thermostat is for the freezer section.

If your getting frost build-up in the refrigerator section evaporator coil, that one does NOT have a heater, it defrosts per the evaporator fan motor in the refrigerator section. Make sure that fan is running all the time, if not, then its bad.

Look at page 5-9 and 5-10 here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5wx9d9xppw3wry/R-114 JOB AID W10444924.pdf?dl=0

It will show you how, you may have to remove the Air Tower and the Deli Drawer first, Deli Drawer removal is on 5-7 and 5-8.

Here's the evaporator fan motor for the refrigerator section for your model:
W10633627 Motor-Evap

Jake