596.72382411 Kenmore How to replace the refrigerator evaporator drain pan

alan664

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Had water dripping off the crisper drawer, so suspected a clogged drain, but taking the drawer out I saw that the drain pan was broken into 5 pieces and there was a pond of water. Mystery, maybe something got behind the drawer such that when it closed it broke the pan. Anyway, from the parts diagram and looking at the real thing, the evaporator cover has to come off.

I've already removed the shelf with small drawers immediately in front of the cover, and I've tugged at it, but don't want to break it. Does anyone know the procedure to get it off? Does the whole air tower plenum thing need to come off too, which would also require removing all the shelves?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Before we start on this one, please update your previous thread here:

Thanks, Jake

alan664

Premium Member
I updated the other thread. Whether or not faulty components are to blame for that icing, I can see without use of ohm meter that the drain pan is in 5 pieces. Four of the pieces are from the right 1/3 of the pan, and so came out easily. I've glued those together and the joints seem pretty good. But the left 2/3 of the pan I won't come out unless the evaporator cover comes out, and due to tabs on the cover and the housing, getting the cover out seems to require removing the plenum air tower, and that in turn seems to require removing the cover in the ceiling of the refrigerator compartment. Whether that requires also removing the ice maker side I don't know. The parts diagram seems to show some kind of locking tabs; I've pulled on the cover (after removing the two screws near the water filter) pretty hard with no luck and don't want to break it. There must be some trick(s) to releasing the refrigerator cover.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for updating your previous thread.:)

Here's the refrigerator evaporator drip pan for your model:

getting the cover out seems to require removing the plenum air tower
Yes, I posted the service manual that shows you how to remove it in your previous thread.

Jake