Thread: Subzero 550 Not Making Ice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Subzero 550 Not Making Ice

Model Number: 550
    Brand: Sub Zero

I have a 25 year old Subzero 550 that is in excellent condition, and have owned it since new. Last year I had the compressors replaced and it has been running and cooling perfectly.

Recently the ice maker stopped working. It is not the original, as it has been replaced several times over the years.

I replaced both the ice maker and the water valve. It is still not working. I then decided to defrost it to make sure the fill line wasn't frozen, so I left the entire unit unplugged for 6-8 hours, then reconnected everything.

The water line is good with good pressure. To test the valve functionality I took an electrical extension cord and attached spade connectors to one end and attached these to the ice maker. I then applied direct power to the water valve by plugging in this cheater cord for a 7 second count, and the ice tray filled with water, confirming that I have adequate water pressure, and that the fill line is patent and able to flow water to the ice tray.

What else should I test or trouble shoot? I have a repairman coming out tomorrow if all else fails, but I would really like to try to fix this myself.

Thanks in advance.

More information.

The freezer temp is 6 F on a thermometer.

With the water that I had forced to fill the ice tray by applying voltage to the fill valve ice formed fine. I jumped the T-H holes and forced the ice maker to go through a harvest cycle, which it successfully did. However the water valve never kicked in. This indicates to me that for some reason this brand new ice maker is not getting a voltage signal to the water valve.

Is there a way to jumper the ice maker to try to force it to activate the water valve? I would like to do this to see if the wiring between the ice maker and the water valve is intact.

Any other advise also welcome.
    Last edited by David Edwards; November 2nd, 2017 at 03:11 PM.

Hi,

Yes, you can jump the L & V on the module and that will send 120 volts to your water inlet valve and see if water comes out into the ice maker. Just make a jumper wire with 1/2" of the wire insulation removed from both ends of it.

ON SOME MODELS: You have to push the freezer light switch in while the little jumper wire is in the L & V test points.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake thank you for your kind reply. Somehow, some way the thing started working again. I had given up but several hours after my forcing water into the tray and forcing a harvest cycle the thing seemed to magically remember that it is an ice maker and started making ice like normal.

These things must drive service pros nuts because there sometimes doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for the way they behave.

These things must drive service pros nuts because there sometimes doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for the way they behave.
    Yes sir, that sums it up perfectly.

Glad its working now.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts