Thread: ROBC-130RBJA Furnace breaker occasionally trips

Default ROBC-130RBJA Furnace breaker occasionally trips

Model Number: ROBC-130RBJA
    Brand: -major brand-

I have a Rheem oil furnace(I could not find Rheem in the Brand list). The breaker occasionally trips and starts again easily after a reset. This used to happen later in the season on occasion when it needed a cleaning. I have had the furnace cleaned this year and is happening now mid-season.

I have a feeling it might be the igniter or some sensor but could use some guidance. I am having trouble finding an exact match on Repairclinic, but the model number is pretty clear on the tag on the furnace. I am pretty certain I wrote it down correctly.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thank you.

Ok before we go any further let's make sure we are on the same page. When you say "breaker" are you referring to the circuit breaker in the electrical panel or are you possibly referring to the "reset" button on the control module that is on the burner??

Quote Originally Posted by jackofalltrades View Post
    Ok before we go any further let's make sure we are on the same page. When you say "breaker" are you referring to the circuit breaker in the electrical panel or are you possibly referring to the "reset" button on the control module that is on the burner??
    It is the red reset button on top of the controller, not the breaker box. I press it down and furnace fires back up fine.

That's what I thought
    First IMO the electrode igniter is very unlikely to be the culprit. They are very reliable and unless someone messed with the gap setting or depth setting they rarely give problems. If it was bad you would not be going months without a problem. It would show up right from the start.
    From my limited experience on heating systems these types of long term, intermittent shutdowns that give no problems with restart , usually have to do with the mixture setting being on the border of being too lean. Too lean can confuse the flame sensor one out of say 100 firings into thinking there is no flame and the unit shuts down. Restart the unit and it's good for a while until the flame sensor again does not "see" the lean flame. It doesn't have a problem seeing a richer flame because it is darker in color (more orange than the white color of a lean mixture) .
    So firstly check the color of the flame when the unit is fired up. It should not be white. There should be some light orange color with no visible smoke. Too rich and the flame will be a dark orange going to red .

Thank you very much for the help. That makes sense and I will check the flame. Is this adjustment something I can do on my own or is it something I need to call a technician?

A tech has the proper equipment to adjust the flame properly. You would only be able to eyeball it if you had any idea of the proper color of the flame. If you are going to call in a tech you might as well let him figure out what is causing your problem. I only took an educated guess based on very limited information.