Thread: 1950 Frigidaire Refrigerator MM-92 thermostat settings

Default 1950 Frigidaire Refrigerator MM-92 thermostat settings

I've been trying to find a manual or explanation of how to properly use the thermostat, but I've not had much luck. The thermostat has the following settings in this counter-clockwise order: Off, Defrost, C, B, A, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Would anyone be able to provide some advice or even a link to a manual?

Any other info, advice, or comments about this refrigerator are welcomed as well. I just purchased this from the original owner's son. His mom and dad bought it new in 1950 when they got married. Dad passed away several years ago; mom passed away a month ago, so he is cleaning out the house they built in 1953. I specifically wanted a vintage Frigidaire as I'm a GM car guy, so this goes perfect in the garage. While I won't be winning any races with its 1/8HP, I certainly anticipate enjoying the cold beer that will be kept in it... so long as I can get the settings correct!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0384.jpg   IMG_0385.jpg  
    Last edited by stress83; April 5th, 2018 at 02:47 PM.

Wink

C, B, A, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
    If I remember correctly, C is warmest (besides defrost) and 7 the coldest. Start it at 1 and move it one way or the other (every 12 hours) until satisfied with the resulting temeprature.

I've been trying to find a manual
    Keep an eye on eBay. There are 2 there now that might help using your model.

LINK > 1950 GM Frigidaire Refrigerator Owner's Manuals

Frigidaire Refrigerator MM-92
    MM-92 is indeed a 1950 model Frigidaire refrigerator. The 9 might indicate 9 cu.ft.

Dan O.

Thank you, Dan. I will give this a try right now and see how things work out!

The ď1Ē seems to be perfect for a case of beer and a case of water. Nice and cool.

I do have two more questions, though:

1) When I open it, I will hear what sounds like running/trickling water. I believe it is coming from the freezer area. Everything is dry, though.

2) The compressor (I think itís the compressor, anyway) randomly kicks on for just a quick moment at a time and then shuts right off. Is this normal? It actually made my garage lights flicker on one occasion.

Unhappy Compressor not starting?

1) When I open it, I will hear what sounds like running/trickling water. I believe it is coming from the freezer area. Everything is dry, though.
    That will be the refrigerant changing from a liquid into a gas in the evaporator. That sound is normal.

2) The compressor (I think itís the compressor, anyway) randomly kicks on for just a quick moment at a time and then shuts right off. Is this normal? It actually made my garage lights flicker on one occasion.
    That is not normal. The sound is likely the compressor trying to start up but failing.

That could be due to low voltage like running it on an extension cord can cause. If it's plugged directly into an outlet, there may be a problem with the compressor starting relay or compressor. If it uses a start capacitor, a problem with that capacitor could cause intermittent compressor starting.

Dan O.

If itís cooling well, would that perhaps point toward the relay rather than the compressor itself?

Is there a good place to find parts for these older appliances? I use appliancepartspros.com for anything else in the house.

would that perhaps point toward the relay rather than the compressor itself?
    A failing relay would usually be much more likely to be the cause than the compressor.

Is there a good place to find parts for these older appliances?
    eBay. However the relay used on your model was the most popular one and has been NLA for 10-15+ years at least. Even aftermarket replacements haven't been around in years either. If you can find one of the following part number, they should replace your original relay: 5305876896, 01128656, 01128814, 05417228, 05417356, 05850649, 05850691, 05850824, 05876896, 05890835, 05901083, 5876896, 5901083 and universal relay numbers Gemline # GYT789, Sealed Unit Parts # SYT8-9.
    Last edited by Jake; April 19th, 2018 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Don't link to ebay please.

Thank you, Dan, for your very helpful responses. I have obviously given it some time, and I believe what sounded like the compressor shutting off was actually just it quieting down to near silence after it's initial turn-on. I'm still not sure about the flickering lights (which has only occurred a couple of times; it's plugged into a 20a circuit as well), but it seems as though everything is working correctly. I've enjoyed my cold beer, the kids enjoy cold Gatorade, and my guests have actually appreciated the nostalgia.