Thread: Hose Clamp Alternative

Thumbs up Hose Clamp Alternative

I am definitely not a professional appliance repairman, just keep reading:
    I had what I think was a stuck open fill valve on my Whirlpool Duet model WFW9150WW washing machine. I started a load before going to work today and my son called me later told me that the washing machine was pouring water out of the washer door all over the floor, good thing it's in the garage. I told him to unplug it and close the hose bibs. He closed the hot water bib and it stopped, he then wiped up all the water, good kid.

When I got home I pulled the lower front cover off because in the past I have had to clear debris from the trap and had to remove the smaller hose clamp that holds the hose that attaches the tub drain to the pump trap. That time upon removal inside the hose, just before the trap, was my wife's driver's license, it completely closed off the hose and wouldn't allow the tub to drain. Taking off the hose clamp was pretty easy, putting it back on was a total pain, as I don't own hose clamp pliers. I finally got it back on using a pair of vise grips.

Anyway, back to today's story; when I checked the hose this time, I didn't see anything in it, nothing in the trap or the pump, so I started squeezing the hose up to under the tub and felt something hard, don't know how something that big would get in there but I took off the big clamp that holds the hose to the bottom of the tub, big mistake. I pulled out a ball and realized it was a check ball that is supposed to be there.

The problem was getting the clamp back on with the hose in between. I tried and tried using channel locks and vise grips, couldn't make it work. My son came out and looked at the problem I was having and suggested a zip tie. We took the hose clamp completely out, and as I stretched it he zip tied the end as tight as it would go, that made putting it back on pretty easy.

After it was back on I cut the zip tie and voila, it seated properly, problem solved. Plugged the washer back in and turned on the hose bib and the leaky valve must have shut itself. Anyway, thanks to my son Max, not me, the washing machine is working again. I just wish I was a smart as he is
    I'm still waiting for my copy of MENSA for Dummies!

Max did a good job, but I just hope that zip-tie holds, because when your washer is spinning at 1000 rpms and that tub is vibrating to the max(no phun intended), that zip-tie can break or come off.

Here's your tub to drain pump hose:
    8540012 Hose

Once you click the tub to drain pump hose link there will be a video on how to replace that tub to pump hose with the clamp.

Here's the clamp for it: WP696392 Clamp

The video will show Max how to do it with the radiator clamp.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake, you didn't get it, we didn't use the zip tie as the hose clamp, we just used the zip tie to hold open the actual factory clamp like hose clamp pliers would do, while we installed the original. The zip tie was removed from the clamp that held it open so we could install it, that is all. The factory clamp is back in place. I will be very cautious and make sure it holds, but it's back the way the factory designed it.
    I'm still waiting for my copy of MENSA for Dummies!

Ok, I must of misunderstood, sorry about that.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts